Thoughts on a game idea..

Started by
9 comments, last by JY 22 years, 5 months ago
I''ve been thinking some more about my game idea and a few guys seemed keen on seeing something along the lines of Abuse. My initial idea was to do something like R-Type and similar horizontal scrollers. The reason I pick R-Type as a reference because I particularly liked the power-ups that were available. I think that''s important in a game like that. (Thoughts?) So I thought; how about combining the two? Have a horizontal scolling shooty game but with the added bit that Abuse has, using the keyboard to move and the mouse to shoot. That way, you could move to the ''front'' of the screen and still shoot things that move behind you without having to race all over the screen. Does anybody know of any other games that do this already? I''m sure this can''t be something new. I''d be interested to know if you think it would work? It would certainly offer a more testing environment because baddies could justifiably come at you from all angles, instead of just from the right edge of the screen. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
"Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own." - Lee Jun Fan
Advertisement
Sounds kind of like SmashTV and it''s sequels/knockoffs. In that you had one controller to move and one to shoot in any of 8 directions. (No buttons) Or Ikari Warriors and its clones is also sort of the same thing, it had the 8 way rotational stick so you could face a different direction than moving.

But, in the typical shooting game where you can only aim forward enemies that come from behind are put in purposefully to be a challenge. There may be some weapons that cover your rear but are weaker in general as a tradeoff, or it may force you to dodge and weave or whatever. If you can aim in any direction your motivation to move is gone other than to dodge things. So you have to throw more things at the person to reach the same level of action.
WHOAH, is all I can say. You read my mind. Finally a person that has had somewhat of an original idea. I love it! Funny thing, I''ve been wanting to do a game like this for the last while. In fact, if you would like, we could even team up for this. I''ve been working alone on a game forever and wouldn''t mind a partner. Especially one who seems to have the same type of ideas as I. Anyway, my EMail is VChelaru@hotmail.com, but warning, I never check it. If you would like to talk about this, the best place to get ahold of me is on AIM or AOL. My screen name is ImmigrantMarbles. I have my name signed on 99% of the time, so even if I''m not there, you can send a message and I''ll get your screen name and add it to my list.
Do reply though. I am interested in sharing some ideas.

--Vic--
Actually, look up ARC. They did something similar, but in a multiplayer deathmatch setup.
Thanks for the feedback guys, I really do appreciate it as I''m sitting here all along and have nobody else to bounce ideas off.

Anonymous: I vaguely remember Smash TV, that was a pretty cool I seem to remember. I was thinking the same as you about having no incentive to move but then it all depends on the game? I mean, you would have to be pretty quick to shoot baddies from two or three different angles. So you would _have_ to move, and that would put your aim off so it would actually make it more tricky?
I don''t know, I''m still at the designing stages so I guess I''ll have to see how it plays. Anyway this is only for learning so I''ll just have to see... Thanks for your thoughts though.

Pee Wee: what can I say more to the point?! After I had done some preliminary work I was going to see if anybody fancied helping me out with some of the work, purely for fun but who knows? I don''t have AIM or AOL so I can''t get in touch with you that way. I have just activated ICQ - I''ve emailed you my new number so if you check this site more regularly, check your mail now

EtherTide: Thanks. I''ll look them up.

I also need to come up with some funky weapons so if anybody has any ideas...
"Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own." - Lee Jun Fan
I am a big fan of shoot-em-up games, from R-Type to Smash TV, and I would like to make a game like this also. Truth be told, Smash TV is much easier and less exciting than its predecessor Robotron (the old arcade classic). Robotron approaches perfection and it is the earliest game of its type. You can get it for an emulator like MAME I believe.

I''m not very reliable and I''m working on my own stuff right now. But I''m all for the development of arcade-style games. Consider putting in RPG-style elements, like River City Ransom or Gauntlet, and you''re guaranteed to generate some replay value (although a good game like Robotron can always give you pure arcade thrill -- nothing wrong with that at all).
Narcusmy homepage:http://www.pcis.net/amenzies
See GenJox. It''s a project by some DigiPen students and it does exactly this. It''s also listed in the GD Showcase, I believe.
From the screenshots GenJox does look quite similar. It would be interesting to see what the gameplay is like and what kind of weapons there are.

Narcus: I appreciate your honesty about not being reliable. I too have a business to run so I can''t spend all day working on this game. At the moment it''s just for experience... if people think it''s any good, I might develop it further
If you want to get involved, even on an ad-hoc basis, that would be great. I would always appreciate ideas and thoughts (and feedback) on the game. One thing I need to decide soon is on the weapon power-ups and stuff.

So far I have the standard single shot cannon, rockets, homing missiles, rockets that split three ways, some kind of helper (like in R-Type), rapid fire cannon. I always found the weapons the most exciting in these kind of games, lots of variety and lots of flashy bits on the screen

I´m a fan of the keyboard/mouse input system, as it gives you a lot of freedom in your movement. I pretty much liked Abuse, the sequel (or remake?) looks pretty good too.

I worked on a horizontal shooter once, which used the keyboard move/mouse for aiming method for the second player controls. I think it should be in the GDNet Archives (Showcases), under "Purple" or "!Purple"....
Give the player nukes! I really loved those in games. Just when you''re about to be overwhelmed by enemies you still have them left in your arsenal.
To keep players from saving up nukes for the final boss, either make him resistant to them or allow the player to have only one (nukes are heavy you know ) and very sporadically give him one and only when he''s out (otherwise he''ll use the nuke when he sees a new one)

Or like in Nemesis (you HAVE to try that one, I found it extremely addicting and difficult), where you get nukes but can''t pick them up so you have to use em when you get em.

---
Allow me to clear my head for once...
Stop polluting the air!
---Allow me to clear my head for once...Stop polluting the air!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement