Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gerbrost

How to get started?

gerbrost    122
Hi all! Now, after a painful time of running in many problems that await a newbie learning direct3d, im a little confused how to go on. I can render primitives, set lights, move around my world and so on. How should i get on now? I dont want to hardcode a whole scene in my program, so i will need to load the scene information from file. I can load and render x-files, but as far as i know they are not good to hold entire scenes. The are better to store only models. What is a good way to go on? Im not at the point to write my own 3d level editor and define a file format to exchange the data. What program can i use to create a scene with geometry and lights? I tried to get into the flexporter package for 3ds (zcb files), but it seems to be a pretty complex beast. Is there something inbetween to use? Some simple level editor with a well documented exchange format? Thank you!

webmunkey    122
Yeah, I am kind of in the same boat as you. I''m not sure what to do at this point. I want to build a simple 3d-engine, but I can''t really figure out how to start. I tried to reinvent the wheel, but it didn''t go over so well, and when I ask for tutorials, people point me out to stuff like "how to draw a triangle". So I basically gave up and went and made a voxel engine, but I''d still like to know how to get started on a 3d-engine as well. People please give us some info!
Thanks,
-Jesse

gerbrost    122
Yes, its true. There are a lot of tutorials how to start with D3d. there are nearly no tuts how to get on from there. But as you said, i dont think its necessary to invent the wheel again

gerbrost    122
You did get me wrong
Maybe i used the wrong word, since in german we use english expressions in a wrong context. What i meant with "hardcoded" was: Alle vertices in the scene and lights etc. coded in the program itself.
For sure i have to write code to read a file with scene info and process it. I dont want a leveleditor that gives me cpp code or anything like that.
I just want an editor which i dont have to write by myself.
I want to create primitves, lights, etc with an editor, save that to a file and after that, parse the file and process the contents of the file so it can be rendered.
My point was that x-files are too simple, but ZCB or similar formats are a little bit too complex to start with.
Thats why i wanted something in between.
Im sorry that you got me totally wrong. You are right: If i wanted to have such kind of an editor, i better get a game creation kit.
I just didnt want to develop my own file format. That was meant with reinventing the wheel

a2k    124
i would think the next step is to "shop" around for a suitable file format for your game. for instance, you can choose the 3ds format, and then find some documentation on how to parse that. that should keep you busy for quite a while, building the 3ds parser. but even then, you still have to set up your structures and classes to accept the data you''ll be parsing, so it''s time to organize your thinking with regards to vertex, normal, tex coord, and material organization, because the way you organize this data will directly affect the rendering performance and hierarchal structure of your game.

a2k