REVOLUTIONARY IDEA

Started by
34 comments, last by Lestat3D 22 years, 4 months ago
I''m working on a game and I want to know if it is profitable, well here I go: The basic idea is an RPG game in 3rd person view, with the difference that each character has its own magic scrolls and artifacts,in order to plan how to win each fight. Its rarity consists in the fact that I will sell diskettes with magic scrolls and artifacts for characters that you can use and loose on fight-time. When you update your character with these disks the game will erase its contents. It''s similar to a "computing Magic cards game". Do you think it''s a good idea? Thnx.
Advertisement
Well, in my opinion it is just computer piracy waiting to happen, but if you could get past that, it would be cool.

Leading the Industry in Mental Piracy...
Leading the Industry in Mental Piracy...
Thats a good idea, except you would have to have an individual id for each disk or people will buy one expensive one, copy it repeatively then sell it and THEY will be making the money instead of you. But then you run into the problem people making there own as they go along... And btw they could just write protect their disk and the program wouldn''t be able to erase it, basically infinite items. Its a good idea but it would be hard to implement a safe way to do it...

PaladinGLT
PaladinGLT
Virii? I mean, since you need to be able to delete the data anyone could theoretically intercept one of your deliveries and corrupt the data. Add this to the suggestions above that people will look for a way to defeat this and you have a recipe for disaster.

The concept of episodic content is an interesting one, though. EA''s Majestic implements exactly this, trying to sell installmental entertainment; perhaps you could take some pointers from them. Rather than use diskettes, you might want to investigate internet downloads (of course, you''ll have to deal with bandwidth and security issues, but if you''re charging those should be easier to deal with.)

I wanna work for Microsoft!
this game sound strange, complicated, and frightening.

I DUN WANNA BUY ME SPELLS
"Luck is for people without skill."- Robert (I Want My Island)"Real men eat food that felt pain before it died."- Me
Well, I''ll protect the disks from piracy making my own FAT, I mean, the game could read and write from my own diskette format.
This disk format wil be different than FAT32 and NTFS file systems, and these could be accessed by a special program I will create for it, and the only way to copy these disks is to use this program, that I will not sell to customers at all.
I will not protect the disks, since the O.S. (Windows, etc) cannot read the disk in native way. The incopatibility of windows to read my own disk format protect the disks for me.
The game will check for DiskId to know wether it''s a piracy disk or not, just by the way. So it''s copletely factible.
hey, black_mage_s, this game is not for your kind of people, it''s for all the kids that plays the "Magic" cards game, do you know it?
quote:Original post by Lestat3D
Well, I''ll protect the disks from piracy making my own FAT, I mean, the game could read and write from my own diskette format.
This disk format wil be different than FAT32 and NTFS file systems, and these could be accessed by a special program I will create for it, and the only way to copy these disks is to use this program, that I will not sell to customers at all.

You can still do an ISO copy fo the disk, even with no file system at all.

How will the game know if the disk ID is valid? Are you going to have a server with disc IDs that the game connects to and verifies the ID? Are you going to store the disk ID on each disc and compare it with the actual disc ID?

The disc ID verification would be hacked and cracked in no-time and so would your file system. And even if no one could figure out your FS it would be a pain to create one disc for each customer.

I also think the game woudl have to be really good for someone to buy a disc, load it and then never be able to use it again. Personally, even if I was a kid playing with those magic cards, I would never buy it. I would stick with the cards.

One last note, why do I have to know what''s on the disc to copy it? I can copy the disc byte by byte to an image file and then put it on a million discs if I feel like it.

-Benny-
-Benny-
Sorry to disappoint you, but this won''t work.
I don''t think anybody would want to pay for a game and then have to pay again when they need newer/better weapons/spells etc.
No matter how good your game is, people will buy an alternative product or at least copy your disks or maybe even generate their own to sell.
Someday your file format will be hacked and pirates will sell their really fat homegrown item-disks and the game won''t be much fun anymore.
And I don''t think it will be hard to simulate a disk drive in software with a fat item generator pretending to be the diskdrive. Hooking interrupts is still possible in Windows, you know!
So practically as well as ethically it will not be a good idea.

---
Allow me to clear my head for once...
Stop polluting the air!
---Allow me to clear my head for once...Stop polluting the air!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement