Anyone tried Screeps, the MMO for programmers?

Started by
59 comments, last by Dragonsoulj 8 years, 9 months ago

No idea. I definitely am getting the programmer feel, though. I keep hitting a point I can't recover from and have to respawn, tweaking my code to handle the issues I faced previously. Evolving code base for sure.

Advertisement

No idea. I definitely am getting the programmer feel, though. I keep hitting a point I can't recover from and have to respawn, tweaking my code to handle the issues I faced previously. Evolving code base for sure.

How does one respawn? I couldn't find that anywhere in the docs, do you just have to run out of energy and it automatically picks it up?

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Click your username menu, and respawn is at the top. You start fresh, no room, no controller levels, but your max level attained remains.

Click your username menu, and respawn is at the top. You start fresh, no room, no controller levels, but your max level attained remains.

Can't believe I didn't see it, I clicked on that menu a few times but never spotted the respawn button. unsure.png Thanks, might respawn in a more favourable place once my harvesting scripts are working properly.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Heh, we should all team up. Have an evolving code base we all use and find a way to avoid or help other GameDev-ers.

I'd love to try this. Though I don't know how much time I can actually sink into it :(

The initial investment is rather steep if you ask me because you do need to churn out a basic AI that is capable of doing collecting resources, defending the room, constructing various structures, distributing energy across the spawns, extensions and workers. However, once you have the basic behaviors in it is a matter of fine tuning and giving orders.

It takes time to take control of new rooms, especially rooms taken by other players. But even if rooms were already empty, it takes time to construct buildings, upgrade the controller and ensure its defendable. So all in all, once you have the basic decision making in it should be pretty much capable of taking care of itself unattended. But that still requires quite a lot of time on short notice. I found that getting the hang of Javascript took me a while and all the code I wrote along the way needs some pretty major refactoring in order to get it into a better shape.

Just upgraded my controller to level 3, I'm thinking of using a network-like system for my harvesters, basically propagating energy throughout an ever-expanding network consisting of extension points and relay creeps (move x 1, carry x 3). The idea is that it should be fairly efficient and also fault-tolerant as long as not all creeps die simultaneously (it also doesn't need roads, hence needs no human maintenance). I hope I can destroy already placed extensions though.

Haven't worked on my defenses at all so far, will need to set up some rampart logic and a few guard creeps before my walls go down in approximately one and a half days since in my current state it would only take a single armed creep to wipe my entire room out...

I was under the impression that the extensions energy could only be deposited, not withdrawn and could only be used for spawn cost.

I have my little colony setup by having creeps be dedicated to a specific task.

So my Miners have 0 carry and like 10 work and just drop energy on the ground that feeders can pick up.

I have Base feeders that keep the base stores stocked up and deliver to the rooms capturing creep thats on the controller.

The capturing creep has just 1 carry, 1 move and rest in work.

Builders/repairers are stacked with work and manage their own feeder creep who delivers energy from the miners dropped pool back to the worker.

Set them up with different specialities so that some can manage roads, others ramparts and others new construction.

Right now for my guards i have a manual position config where they just go to the first available slot (order setup so that they remain dispersed and positions are just on my outer ramparts) until I have time to actually write some kind of system for base defense.

As my walls are still up havent even started thinking about spreading to other rooms or more intelligent defense repairs. Probably going to get completly wrecked once my walls go down.

I'm still in the simulator trying to get a handle on the whole menagerie of structure types and the nature of all the little options.

The part system is really unique here. I'm trying to think of ways to abuse it effectively.

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement