High level mouse programming

Started by
2 comments, last by cyex 22 years, 5 months ago
Hi! I have had many troubles getting DirectInput to work, and I was wondering if there were any quick alternatives for getting mouse input. Thanks!
Advertisement
Hmm, DirectInput is perhaps the most straight forward DirectX API to use, I find.

What are you having problems with? Initializing the mouse object? Or actually coding the mouses behaviour? The initialization is fairly straight forward, I can cut and paste some code from one of my programs, and you can just shove it into your directinput Init code and be straight off.

If it is the actual coding for the mouses behaviour, well that is really program specific, but it isn''t tough. Tell us exactly what the problem is and I am sure we can help you out.
In your Window procedure, the following messages could be of interest:

// mouse was moved - get positioncase WM_MOUSEMOVE:  mouseX = GET_X_LPARAM(lParam);  mouseY = GET_Y_LPARAM(lParam);return 0;// a mouse button was pressed or releasedcase WM_LBUTTONDOWN:case WM_RBUTTONDOWN:case WM_LBUTTONUP:case WM_RBUTTONUP:  

Not quite as good or efficient as properly written DInput, but if you''re after a quick solution...

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

Thanks guys... it is the actual initialisation I''m having problems with. It happens with every API I try to start using. (just a really dodgy setup of MS C++) Way too many errors to mention at the moment, but I''ll try to go the way of DInput when I have more time.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement