How to make 3D art look more like a 2d?

Started by
15 comments, last by UgaBugaUgaBuga 8 years, 9 months ago

Tree of Savior is the spiritual successor of the first Ragnarok Online, according to many.

The character sprites in both Ragnarok Online and Tree of Savior are 2D. The environment in Tree of Savior is 3D, however. If you've seen Pokemon Black/White, it's sort of like that. As far as I know, anyway.

If you're using Blender, there is an addon that allows you to export 2D sprites from multiple camera angles for use in a spritesheet. You should check it out.

Advertisement
Something like a cell shader can make 3D look either cartoony or hand drawn. I am not a huge fan of that for all uses, but it's great where it makes sense.

This is my thread. There are many threads like it, but this one is mine.

Tree of Savior is the spiritual successor of the first Ragnarok Online, according to many.

The character sprites in both Ragnarok Online and Tree of Savior are 2D. The environment in Tree of Savior is 3D, however. If you've seen Pokemon Black/White, it's sort of like that. As far as I know, anyway.

If you're using Blender, there is an addon that allows you to export 2D sprites from multiple camera angles for use in a spritesheet. You should check it out.

well i hope it surpass the success of ragnarok online :D

Awesome thanks for the addon link

On the topic of making 3D look like 2D, you might find this talk about the art style of Guilty Gear Xrd interesting

^ This. If any of you have ever played Ragnarok Online, you'd notice the similarities. Environment and some character models (usually bosses) are 3D, but the player characters and most NPCs/creatures are 2D sprites, plastered to a 3D object.

I was searching for 2D games that has a beautiful graphics. then i found this. Is that a 3D game?

I'd say with about ~95% certainly, yes it's 3D.

Look here:
6014c5e7b5.png

And then here, a few seconds later:
733522e552.png

The camera shifted, and from the new position, the archway is smaller when projected on-screen.

That's because of the 3D projection warping the objects around the edges of the screen.

That can be faked in 2D (Diablo 2 did that), but very few games do that in 2D, and it's far easier to do in 3D. 3D games by default do that.

However, despite rendering a 3D world using 3D graphics, they use many flat 2D objects in the world, such as this fence:

3b99959ac3.png

The spiked fences there is a 2D texture mapped to a polygon rotated and placed in a 3D world - that's 3D graphics.

6be3a13445.png

The avatars however, look like they are 2D. Not 2.5 either, but 2D.

I'm speculating this based on the girl with the shield and spear. When she's running to the left, the shield is in her right hand. When she's running to the right, the shield is in her left hand. This indicates that it's a 2D image that is getting mirrored for right/left directions.

e00c721e29.png

eee1d64f19.png

I can't be 100% positive, because of the low resolution, but that's what it looks like to me. (Note: I caught them on slightly different frames, so the positioning is slightly different - but notice how the shield swaps hands accidentally - it's always on the far side of the character, away from the screen)

The presence of 2D objects in a 3D world doesn't make it 2D - it's still a 3D game, even if it has a fixed angle.

base on that I can say as well that this game is also a 2.5d? because it doesnt have a 3D system where u can rotate at 360?
also the camera is mostly on top(45degree).

No, that game is also 3D. Asside from having the same 3D perspective-distortion present, the camera angle isn't 100% fixed and you can see the camera change its angle slightly at the 2:15-2:20 mark. The Camera pans, and changes its angle slightly while panning.

It's not about whether the camera is fixed to a angle or not, but about how the rendering happens behind the scenes - Are objects being drawn by all three dimensions by a 3D library like OpenGL or DirectX, or are you only using (X,Y) and faking the Z dimension in your own code or artwork before sending it to the 3D libraries to draw (using the Z dimension as a free way to handle sprite draw ordering still counts as 2D).

Basically, of all the polygon normals of the triangles/quads you are drawing, if they are facing directly out of the monitor (i.e. directly along the Z axis), it's 2D; otherwise, it's 3D.

tl;dr: Both games are 3D. I'm 95% certain about the first game, and 99% certain about the second one.

There's nothing wrong with making a 2D-like game with 3D graphics - it gives you more power and flexibility. You can do 100% of everything you could do in 2D, plus alot more besides. If you want a 2D look, you can easily do that with 3D graphics also. 3D just adds a dimension, it doesn't take away anything.

I'd say with about ~95% certainly, yes it's 3D.

Wow.. Thank you very much for detailed explanation.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement