Is my music good enough? Feedback?

Started by
2 comments, last by Onigiri Flash 8 years, 9 months ago

Hi guys,

I'm making music since a few years ago, I would like to have a honest feedback. I know that I have to improve a lot but I would be happy if you say me what i really have to improve (mixing, arrangement, sound design for example)

https://soundcloud.com/henamusic/tracks

So this is my music, do you think that I can start working being paid or my music still need to get better?

Thank you and sorry for my English.

DAW: Ableton Live 9, Logic Pro 9

Advertisement

Hi Hena,

Regarding if your music is commercially viable: it is only commercially viable when it makes money. When you feel confident enough to begin engaging in business for your music, then go for it, do so with commitment and seriousness, but understand that not every commercial music cue is appealing to all--that's the nature of art. There may be someone out there that wants to pay for your music, you will only find them when you start selling.

Regarding your next step in artistic development: If you were my student the first thing I would suggest is your biggest crutch is that you are entirely too dependent upon copy and paste. You write music in a way that only makes sense in the computer realm. It is, after all, a lot easier to develop a music cue by copying and pasting the same 8 bars over and over again and then just adding or subtracting elements.

This makes your music highly predictable--maybe overly predictable. Drama is not predictable, drama is sometimes surprising, music can have gestures. Imagine if your music was a dancer. Your dancer would do the same movements for 8 bars and then do something new for 8 bars and so on and so forth. After a while, this dancer, even if their moves were pretty cool at first, would get boring.

Your crutch is repetition.

If you were my student, I would assign you a project wherein you had to write a music cue that had musical gesture. I would probably give you a film moment to score, something with changing action and changing pace. Something that would require you to write through with almost no large scale copying and pasting, something that would require you to actually open up the tempo track and edit it.

Good luck.

- [email=dan@musicianeer.com]Dan Reynolds[/email] (Composer|Music Implementer)
www.musicianeer.com

Hi Hena,

Regarding if your music is commercially viable: it is only commercially viable when it makes money. When you feel confident enough to begin engaging in business for your music, then go for it, do so with commitment and seriousness, but understand that not every commercial music cue is appealing to all--that's the nature of art. There may be someone out there that wants to pay for your music, you will only find them when you start selling.

Regarding your next step in artistic development: If you were my student the first thing I would suggest is your biggest crutch is that you are entirely too dependent upon copy and paste. You write music in a way that only makes sense in the computer realm. It is, after all, a lot easier to develop a music cue by copying and pasting the same 8 bars over and over again and then just adding or subtracting elements.

This makes your music highly predictable--maybe overly predictable. Drama is not predictable, drama is sometimes surprising, music can have gestures. Imagine if your music was a dancer. Your dancer would do the same movements for 8 bars and then do something new for 8 bars and so on and so forth. After a while, this dancer, even if their moves were pretty cool at first, would get boring.

Your crutch is repetition.

If you were my student, I would assign you a project wherein you had to write a music cue that had musical gesture. I would probably give you a film moment to score, something with changing action and changing pace. Something that would require you to write through with almost no large scale copying and pasting, something that would require you to actually open up the tempo track and edit it.

Good luck.

Thank you so much for your answer, I will try as you said when I will have some time.

Even if it will be so hard I know that I have to become less repetitive in my music, unfortunately since I started making music I always used the copy/paste way to do my arrangements so I need a lot of work on it.

Thank you again.

DAW: Ableton Live 9, Logic Pro 9

So this is my music, do you think that I can start working being paid or my music still need to get better?

Yes. Your compositions are of superb quality!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement