Why SRPG's are considered Niche?

Started by
19 comments, last by CaptainVG 8 years, 9 months ago

From my experience, RPG style games tend to be played by a younger crowd, the reason why seems to be the excessive use of fantasy elements in it, tied usually to an artistic design that honestly always looks aimed at kids.

Plus RPG's tend to be slow games with long stories, people who work and have a family don't have time for slow progressing satisfaction, instead this people look for quick satisfaction games.

Tactical RPG's suffer even more from this because they might be perceived as too slow and often requires a lot more of thinking, than just spamming the best powers your party has in a regular RPG.

Advertisement

RPGs skew young you think? I'd actually guess they skew older. Much older. Those of us who play Western RPGs do so because we have the patience and fond memories of Baulder's Gate. Eastern RPGs the same thing but for Final Fantasy. The really old ones like Norman Barrows there (Haha) play it because they remember Red Box D&D!

You're probably thinking of Action RPGs when you say that, which probably skew significantly younger than turn based RPGs.

Tactical RPGs are basically a completely different genre with a huge variety of types. Young gamers love Fire Emblem and Advance Wars while old grognards stick to games like Shadowrun and Jagged Alliance.

RPG's tend to be slow games with long stories, people who work and have a family don't have time for slow progressing satisfaction, instead this people look for quick satisfaction games.

Tactical RPG's suffer even more from this because they might be perceived as too slow and often requires a lot more of thinking, than just spamming the best powers your party has in a regular RPG.

I think people that don't like Tactical RPG's feel like they're slow, but I don't think they're slow in the way you're describing. I can get quicker satisfaction from a Tactical RPG than a grand RPG with a massive world or massive story. I can jump onto XCOM, and play a single mission, allowing me to make fun tactical decisions without having to play for a long time. I think what people find slow in a Tactical RPG is just that there's usually no time pressure for making your decisions. I like that I can take as much time as I want examining the situation to choose the action I want to make, but some people want a game that doesn't require that analysis, and focuses on quick reactions, or a more realistic immersive world.

Radiant Verge is a Turn-Based Tactical RPG where your movement determines which abilities you can use.

Much older. Those of us who play Western RPGs do so because we have the patience and fond memories of Baulder's Gate.

If it's much older people that have memories of Baldur's gate, then what does that make those of us who have fond memories of the even older AD&D games such as Pool of Radiance.

Much much older.

Radiant Verge is a Turn-Based Tactical RPG where your movement determines which abilities you can use.

Tactical RPGs are basically a completely different genre with a huge variety of types. Young gamers love Fire Emblem and Advance Wars while old grognards stick to games like Shadowrun and Jagged Alliance.

I think people that don't like Tactical RPG's feel like they're slow, but I don't think they're slow in the way you're describing. I can get quicker satisfaction from a Tactical RPG than a grand RPG with a massive world or massive story. I can jump onto XCOM, and play a single mission, allowing me to make fun tactical decisions without having to play for a long time. I think what people find slow in a Tactical RPG is just that there's usually no time pressure for making your decisions. I like that I can take as much time as I want examining the situation to choose the action I want to make, but some people want a game that doesn't require that analysis, and focuses on quick reactions, or a more realistic immersive world.

Well I agree with both of you, but for most people this games are too slow, specially TRPG's because of the added tactical requirements. Not to mention that a lot of people just don't have what it takes to be able to think tactically, no joking here, most people just "cannot compute..." on this field.

I didnt even bring up gold box D&D games due to fear nobody would know what I was talking about :D

I don't think Advance Wars falls under Tactical RPGs but instead falls under Turn Based Strategy games. There isn't much in the way of role playing elements.

You're probably right Dragon, I dont recall there being any upgrading of units or selecting of enhancements or carry over from one level to the next.

The last installment Days of Ruin had enhancements in the fact that units got stronger but this didn't persist past the map. That's it. Still awesome games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement