Why use Game Development engines??

Started by
34 comments, last by Woody FX 22 years, 4 months ago
Why would people use game development tools such as the Quake engines and the Infinty Engines for Baldurs gate... What other onces are there and could you tell me abit about them?
Advertisement
People use them to save a great deal of time by writing their own, and by using them they are using a proven technology.
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
Yeah what are examples of good engines and packages for making these so called games....

Are games with made engines really as great a feat as a game written straight fromm your own head instaed of sticking bits together using an engine?
Look at the games that use an engine and make your decision.

Quake, Quake2, Quake3, Doom, Doom 2, Heretic, Heretic2, Hexen, Hexen2, Halflife, Sin, Soldier of Fortune, Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, NAM, Redneck Rampage, Terminal Velocity, Unreal, Unreal2, Unreal Tournament, Tribes, Tribes2, Anachronox, Max Payne, Serious Sam, Laser Arena, Interstate 82...

And thats only beginning to scratch the surface of games that use an engine that has been used in other games, or is being used in upcomming games.
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
I guess it all depends on why you are writing the game. If it is for educational purposes or to feel that you have really achieved something, why not write it yourself?

If you are treating it as more of a commercial venture, it makes sense to reduce the development costs therefore maximising the profits from the game itself.
This also allows you to spend more time on the strategy and gameplay, hopefully making it more enjoyable to play. In my opinion many games seem to be somewhere in the middle, using established engines for speed of development but not concentrating so much on gameplay. Only my opinion.

Of course another thing is flexibility - if you write your own engine you can make it exactly the way you want it. If you use a library you may not be able to easily add functionality that you want.
"Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own." - Lee Jun Fan
Yes...yes...yes of course.....

For reducing develophment time!!

Who writes game engines and why.....if you are goin to the trouble of writing an engine.....why the hell not go and do the feckin game!! Surly thats where the money is....

I''m doin a project now and The lecture over me keeps trying to push me in the direction of using some Game creator packages...and side tracking me by telling me to do a Power point Presentation on these packages....i want to just get on with doing my feckin game!!

It''s goin to be a game along the lines of commando''s (2D Isometric)!
Its a matter of why re-invent the wheel?

Would you say that Half Life was not a great feat? It uses a modified Quake II engine.
gb
Why re-invent the wheel?
Because it is a great learning experience.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Who writes game engines and why.....if you are goin to the trouble of writing an engine.....why the hell not go and do the feckin game!! Surly thats where the money is....

That''s not necessarily true (that the game is really where the money is) but really, the companies making the engines are usually doing a game to go with it (such as id... they''ve had their engines licensed plenty of times). A lot of the time though these companies don''t license engines just for chump change... and I don''t know how often royalties factor in.
WNDCLASSEX Reality;......Reality.lpfnWndProc=ComputerGames;......RegisterClassEx(&Reality);Unable to register Reality...what's wrong?---------Dan Uptonhttp://0to1.orghttp://www20.brinkster.com/draqza
A lot of the reason that people create engines for the games is because they can represent a lot of common tasks with different functions that they call multiple times. Say you wrote a 3d Shooter Game (FPS) and you want a function like: Shoot(), ReloadGun(), ChangeGun(). If you wrote an engine that did these three things, you could call them many times from within different parts of your game. Then when you come out with another shooter game that is different and with different artwork, different story, etc. you will be able to use the same engine to do the common tasks of shooting, reloading guns, and changing guns. This way you have one game engine for 3d shooting that you can use for all the games that you develop like it.

~Andrew Clark

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement