What kind of games can I create with my 3 member team that someone may actually play?

Started by
19 comments, last by Gian-Reto 8 years, 8 months ago

Hi!

I cannot live without game development even though I know how difficult it is to make a successful game. Well, the easiest path to go is to focus on some 2D mobile game to get the highest chance of success (or am I wrong?).

However, with Unity 5 released now, I see how many new fantastic features are there in the world of 3D. I want to use them so much! Just sit, do some level designing, place and adjust some lighting, maybe even write a bit of a storyline and not just code some super fancy logic for a puzzle or circles vs triangles kind of mobile game!

I have a team of about 3 people. I wanna ask you guys, if it is by any means possible to create a game competitive to some market that is 3D and involves even a bit of a story, items, and just classic game design job like level design and not only spending days in code to create some fancy new puzzle that doesn't exist yet.

Also, if I currently have no "graphics guy" what are my options to make the game look good enough that sb plays it?

Just help me start out! I have a lot of programming experience, some people, but no game put on the market yet. I'm just a bit scared of devoting hundreds of hours to a game that no one will play. I know there is no recipe, but you are far more experienced than me in terms of game publishing so please give me some sort of advice to start.

Thanks!

Kiel368

Advertisement
Hi there, I've only finished one game so far, it wasn't a "brilliant" success but the feeling of actually producing something from hours of coding, debugging and optimizing is something phenomenal. You're wasting time trying to think of whether doing it or not, while you should've started already. If you're passionate about game developement you should just do it since you never lose when you develop a game.

I'm just a bit scared of devoting hundreds of hours to a game that no one will play.

Stop here, because this will most likely happens.

Also, if I currently have no "graphics guy" what are my options to make the game look good enough that sb plays it?

Looking good enough that somebody will play it is seldomly the issue. Look at games like Minecraft or dwarffortress etc. The issue is, that the devs themselves have often unrealistic and very high expectations. Yep, all this fantastic 3d rendering technique, so easy to turn some simple sphere into a wonderful PBR rendered piece of art, yet it is just technique and you need an army of artists to create according art. A monster of a graphics engine needs a lot of food ;-)

I wanna ask you guys, if it is by any means possible to create a game competitive to some market that is 3D and involves even a bit of a story, items, and just classic game design job like level design and not only spending days in code to create some fancy new puzzle that doesn't exist yet.

It depends. A lot of successful indie games were created by 2-4 people. I think that it is more important to utilize the skills the team have, instead of frenetically trying to compensate what skills are lacking. A team of artists could benefit from making an artful game with simple game mechanism, a team of story writer could deliver a fantastic story telling game and a group of coders could create some demanding and challenging game mechanism/effects.

I think key point is investing time in game design phase as most mistakes are done without writing single line of code, a study preferably based on some survey and A/B testing also involving monetization may eliminate most problems imo.

So I think it is wise to ensure that it will be a game people will play, then structure game according to your resources.

And for graphics, if can't handle in house or lack resources for next gen, better have a consistent style ( like Crossy Road, Call of Juarez : Gunslinger , Don't Starve etc).

mostates by moson?e | Embrace your burden

I'm just a bit scared of devoting hundreds of hours to a game that no one will play

Solution: Don't devote hundreds of hours into a game that no one will play. Shrink the scope and devote tens of hours into a game that no one will play and learn from the mistakes for your next game.

Realistically, your first game is most likely not going to be a (huge) success.

That's why it is important to not sink too many man-hours into this first project.

Your best bet would be to come up with a simple game, focussed on a single gameplay mechanic and polish that until it is ready for relasing.

Since you dont have artists on your team but still want to use advanced gfx features you should aim for the "abstract" art style.

Use basic geometric shapes but apply shaders that make them look interesting.

Prototype first, this lets you quickly see if your idea is fun to play at all. Do not spend too much time working on the details in the beginning!

Let your friends/family test the game, they might give you important feedback.

The most important thing really is to just start. Unity is such an amazing engine for quick prototyping that you can quickly hack something together and test your ideas.

Good luck!

I wish someone would make an alphadoku game so I could play it. Either on android or as a website like: http://www.dailykillersudoku.com/

I'd also be really happy if someone would make a new game like Plant Tycoon http://store.steampowered.com/app/16120/ since the company that made it and Fish Tycoon decided not to make any more in the series.

Another good goal is to create minigames (representing resource gathering, crafting, etc.) that can late be plugged into a larger game such as a virtual pet site or MMO.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

forget about scott baio.

developing games is a lot like composing a complex piece of music or any art. might take you months and be completely tired of it when complete, but interesting on the way.

developing a game is like playing a game where you get to make the parts :D don't hit me, i'm going on -

equipped with some knowledge and paradigmatic considerations, your task is to fit your set of abilities to an ongoing set of developmental applications! pretty fun, eh. really the finer sport, as it not only engages what is known, it provides a foundation for going beyond it.

neither a follower nor a leader behttp://www.xoxos.net

a study preferably based on some survey and A/B testing also involving monetization may eliminate most problems imo.

How do I A/B test a game idea? What do you mean?

How do I A/B test a game idea? What do you mean?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A/B_testing

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement