Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kharris

Bitmap Texturing versus Drawing.

kharris    122
Hey folks, I am still new to game programming and I am considering writing a space invaders clone. I was wondering if, to display the invaders, if I should try to draw them using graphic routines, or if I should just texture a quad with a bitmapped image. The second one sounds resonable to me, but I am not the one with all of the experience and expert opinions. Also, I use OpenGL right now, if that helps responses. Also, I read nehe''s texture mapping tutorial, and was wondering why he put such restrictions on the bitmaps that are used. How hard is it to deal with images that don''t fit these restraints? Thanks in advance.

henryx    128
Don''t know too much about OGL but in DirectX textured quads with bitmap images is the way to go. All the hardware in modern graphics cards is optimised for this kind of stuff.

henry

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
If you''re using OpenGL.. I think the easiest thing is to use textured quads (I don''t opengl even has bitblt type functions?)... at least that way you can use all sorts of cool effects (like alpha-blending, or bump-mapping, etc, etc).

Billy