Do I have to be a programmer to make a game?

Started by
23 comments, last by jlowe64 22 years, 5 months ago
You don''t have to use directx directly, you could use SDL wich is in C. And your game would be multiplatform too
Advertisement
whats an API??
(A)pplication (P)rogramming (I)nterface.

I use C++, which serves for just about everything, although I''ve been writing some utils using Visual J++ recently, and it''s _so_ much easier. Especially things like the IO routines are god-like - no more messing around with dummy variables, or trying to encode/decode/classify image files. Just Image.loadImage() / Image.save().

If you''re not planning on making really high-power stuff - that is, you''re going to make web games, or the oldskool puzzle/arcade games, I would recommend Java. If you use the AWT, then your games are instantly cross platform. And of course there are other layers available for it. I don''t know Microsoft''s plans on Java support for DirectX, but I do know that at least D3DRM is supported.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

BlueFrog: Speed, it''s the speed thing? If C++ is slow for you, it''s not the language, it''s the user. Oh, and just because you know Java doesn''t mean you know OOP. You can easily write a non-OOP application in Java, I have seen too many of those. The same goes for C++.

As an answer to the original post. I would learn C++ first, then I would learn the differences between C++ and C. I would also try to learn OOP (Object Oriented Programming), maybe I would even check out UML before I even started with the programming. Object Orientation can be used for so much more than programming, and it will absolutely help you understand how to use the C++ language better.

An API (Application Programming Interface) is the interface to, let''s say, a library you use to do something with. It could be a C API with a set of functions for rendering etc. (Example: OpenGL) or a number of classes for doing the same thing (Example: DirectX). Let''s say you have an mp3 playing lib that you want to use. The API could be one function called playMP3( const char* strFileToPlay ) and behind it there would probably be a myriad of other functions and strcuts and God knows what..

-Benny-
-Benny-
Yep. Except... there are loads of small Java applet games out there. They''re not very good. If you plan on writing a stand-alone Java app, I''ll salute you.

There''s an API for Java called Java3D. This uses OpenGL or DirectX for proper 3D acceleration. There was a game made recently by Liquid Edge Games, called RoboForge that shows the potential. A full Java3D application might be a more interesting project than a Java applet, though of course it''s gonna be more complex (probably too much for a beginner to finish).

I''ll say this about games programming: I see so many posts saying things like... "I learned how to start up Windows yesterday. I want to create a game like Quake. How do I do the game?" (or things to that effect ). I''ll say this loud and clear:

*START SMALL*

If you try a large scale project *you will give up*. Remember that most games take teams of excellent coders years to do. Start off simple, doing things like Tetris, etc., and work your way up. Pay yer dues.

Alistair Keys

"There are two kinds of people, those who finish what they start and so on."
-- Robert Byrne

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement