Explain: Finite State Machines

Started by
8 comments, last by Tutorial Doctor 8 years, 9 months ago

I need the a thorough and brief, comprehensive explanation of finite state machines.

I am wondering if someone here can make it as simple yet thorough as possible.

I'd also like to know about 3 or less different use cases.

An analogy would be helpful.

I think I could use this for changing animations in my game.

Thank you in advance.

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

Advertisement

So what did you not understand about Wikipedia's article on finite state machines?

Wait. You're the Tutorial Doctor. Why didn't you just read a tutorial?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/game-programming/state-machines-in-games-r2982

I need the a thorough and brief, comprehensive explanation of finite state machines.

Here you go.

Here you go.

That's a really good overview of the topic.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

So you know what "infinite" is, right?

Infinite means "no limit". (In = not, finite = limited)

So, finite means limited.

So a limited state machine is a machine that has a limited number of states... easy right?

For example, a light switch has 2 states. "On" and "Off".

Therefore, a light switch is a finite state machine.

How that applies to games is say in a fighting game, you have "punching", "kicking" and "throwing fireball". If you're doing one, you can't be doing the other... and that's how we arrive at our "states".

Does that make sense? Do you have any further questions?

Pew! Pew! Pew!

Here you go.

Here you go.

That's a really good overview of the topic.

There is a lot of great stuff there. The author makes the content freely available on his website, but also sells in it print and multiple ebook formats if you care to help support him.

Here you go.

There is a lot of great stuff there. The author makes the content freely available on his website, but also sells in it print and multiple ebook formats if you care to help support him.

I like this book a lot. I bought the PDF version back when it was released.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement