Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

diseaser2002

RPGs: always same....

diseaser2002    122
I wonder why most(and also famous) RPG's are always set in medieval times like Diablo 2 and Baldur's Gate and also MMORPGs like Everquest. Why cant the game still be like Diablo 2 but only with guns and laser and other science fiction weapons instead of swords and spears and arrows. and the spells instead of magic and scrolls, why not have computers and spells like electromagnetic waves. I know there are games like System Shock 2 that are in modern times but those kind of games are in 3rd-Person Shooter(3D which is harder to program) genre not like Baldur's Gate where most of the game is in 2D graphics. For example, here a game idea. the protagonist is a um..a becomes an orphan when his parents are murdered when alien attacked earth. when he's big he seeks revenge against the aliens along with a few other friends namely um a computer geek, a tough gangster-like guy(sort of like the Barbarian) and other characters against the aliens. games will be armed with maybe computers, holograms and weapons like guns and laser. the armor could be kevlar and the shield maybe a trash can cover. Obviuosly there won't be much varienty in items compared to diablo 2 and other games, so that can give space and time for a programmer to include more features in the game like improving the games graphics, aswell as adding bigger levels and more detailed monsters. Edited by - diseaser2002 on November 15, 2001 9:51:28 AM Edited by - diseaser2002 on November 15, 2001 11:19:05 AM

KingRuss    134
You havent been looking for the right rpgs. Second off, putting new graphics and changing a few names doesn''t make the greatest game in history. You call them computer assisted battle actions, we call them spells. Do you really care whether the fire is cast from a mage or created and then duplicated by a computer? It is the same game, and it is easy to change just the story, and mask the game using the same exact numbers! I urge you to steal some sourcecode and change the names of everything and release it. You could make lots of money by doing this. Just don''t get caught, or blame me.

"Practice means good, Perfect Practice means Perfect"