.jam file extensions?

Started by
12 comments, last by hairycoconuts 22 years, 5 months ago
I have been browsing through the projects on the nehe website and have noticed that there are alot of .jam files. 1) What are they? 2) What do they do? 3) Have they got ne relevence to OpenGL programming? 4) Are they commonly used? 5) Are there any tutorials telling you how to use them? Thankz alot guys been a great help ----------------------- This space is for sale -----------------------
-----------------------This space is for sale-----------------------
Advertisement
They are bitmaps with the extensions changed. Get a hexviewer/editor to look at new file types or just change their extensions to recognised ones like bmp or txt. The first two bytes of bitmaps are ''BM''. Change the extensions of the *.jam files to *.bmp and open them with any image viewer capable of handling bitmaps (just about everything) and you''ll see what I mean. *.dat is another popular renaming notation.

I imagine it is a crude way of protecting your artwork but it may be that by doing this it is easier to know which files are meant for which projects - finding and recognising *.jam files, especially when they have numerical names is probably a lot simpler than *.bmp
Why exactly do they need to be changed?

and is it possible to save a jpg as a .jam?

Thankz

-----------------------
This space is for sale
-----------------------
Any file can be saved as a .jam -- remember the filename (including extension) has no bearing on the contents of a file... a .bmp extension is most likely a bitmap, but it could be anything (perhaps a Blue Man Productions data file?).
Okay.... this has been asked before.

.jam files are simply bitmap files renamed by nehe for no particular reason other than j.a.m are his initials.

Jeff A Molofee

They are no different from bitmap files.... they simply have the extension changed.
(Most programmers do this at one time or another.. like when u make your first program that can read in zip files, and you rename the zip extension to your initials or the first 3 letters in your name.. its just for fun.. nothing major.. just adds a little extra bit of uniqueness to say its yours.)

As for your question

"is it possible to save a jpg as a .jam?"
The answer is YES. BUT.
Yes.. its possible to save any file as a .jam file.
BUT.. programs that currently read in bmp files using .jam extensions wont obviously be able to read in a jpg posing as a jam file. ( unless u add some code getting it to read in the header, then allocate the texture appropriately ).

Hope this helped.....

~Cobra~
"Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will have warmth for the rest of his life"
U guys are so cleaver!

Thankz a bunch! Can i ask another stupid question?

Would it be possible to code a whole game out of c++, graphics and opengl? (As well as a few music files)

could you tell me averagly how much a game programmer would get paid?

AND...
What is a *.tga file. I heard it was a graphics file but can''t seen to find a program that creates them or presentes them?

Thankz a buch for your help, one day i hope to be dealing out the solutions.

Cheers

-----------------------
This space is for sale
-----------------------
TGA files can be created using Gimp

Edited by - terminate on November 17, 2001 1:09:46 PM
Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music.
Why even bother trying to convert .jpg or bmp files to .tga?

Are they smaller and is it that they can only be used in .exe programs?

Very confused!

Cheerse

-----------------------
This space is for sale
-----------------------
You can use an alpha channel with Tga files
quote: Would it be possible to code a whole game out of c++, graphics and opengl? (As well as a few music files)

Ummm yes
You''ll find that''s generally how its done *grin*

Just grab urself a copy of MSVC++ 6.0 , Learn the C and C++ programming languages, and get an art/modelling program and you can make a whole game.

All u need is 1) code 2) media ( media = music/graphics/models/maps ) and ur done

quote: Why even bother trying to convert .jpg or bmp files to .tga?

Well... .tga files are actually normally bigger than .jpg files. but they have the added bonus of having the ability to add alpha channels or masks right into the files themselves. (instead of having to mask a certain colour in code e.t.c which isnt nearly as nice).

Hope this cleared something up for ya

~Cobra~
"Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will have warmth for the rest of his life"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement