Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dalaptop

stupid 8.1

I don''t see anywhere on MSDN to download just the headers, libs, dlls, etc. Well, I guess I need the runtime too. It would be a waste of time to just download the headers and stuff. Never mind.

Tell me, I am just starting to learn Direct3D 8.0 by going through the tutorials in the SDK and trying things out. I just started. Should I download 8.1 and start learning that stuff instead, or should I just stick with 8.0? What should I do?

~Andrew Clark

I don''t think there is so mush difference between DirectX8.0 and DirectX8.1. Most of the changes, I think, are in the D3DX files. If you know DirectX8.0, you can download DirectX8.1 and continue programming like if you had 8.0. It''s the same thing except for some minor changes.

actually, i am having a weird error going from 8 to 8.1. I changed absolutely nothing, but suddenly i get:

c:\dxsdk\include\dinput.h: DIRECTINPUT_VERSION undefined. Defaulting to version 0x0800

I have only stared at this for a few minutes trying to figure out why my DIRECTINPUT_VERSION is undefined, so i will probably figure it out about 15 minutes from when i post this,but all i know is it took my frames from 101 to 4 per second. ouch.

http://therabbithole.redback.inficad.com/tricks/directx81/DXF/DXSDK/

I''ll have the individual directories zipped up late tonight or tommorrow. Right now it''s just installed so you''d have to download individual files.

Ben