2G/3G latency for FPS/TPS

Started by
9 comments, last by hplus0603 8 years, 8 months ago

Hello there,

I was very optimistic and happy with naiveish implementation of multiplayer for a 3rd person shooter relying on low byte of data to transmit. But after I noticed that ( @ http://chimera.labs.oreilly.com/books/1230000000545/ch07.html#_brief_history_of_the_g_8217_s ) there is serious latency at 2G and 3G connections ( just for the records, ignorance is bliss indeed )

In this case, is trying to have a FPS/TPS game that can be played at mobile networks already a lost cause without writing single line of code?

If that's so , apparently choices are making game WiFi viable only or change gameplay completely.

Thanks in advance.

mostates by moson?e | Embrace your burden

Advertisement

In this case, is trying to have a FPS/TPS game that can be played at mobile networks already a lost cause without writing single line of code?

If you require very low latency, then that's going to be challenging.

Several years ago, there was someone who took the Quake 3 engine and made a mobile FPS out of it (I think 4 player deathmatch) and they did OK.
"Eliminate," I think?
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

Actually I am not sure if I require very low latency, expecting there is an average number something like stated @ http://www.ericsson.com/hr/about/events/archieve/2007/mipro_2007/mipro_1137.pdf saying

First Person Shooter (FPS), Racing – fast user response, many online players at once, highly dynamic

• Up to 150ms end-to-end delay may be acceptable
  • 10ms jitter may be expected to be critical for FPS
  • Up to 5% packet loss is acceptable

I'd like to hear your estimation for a TPS , though.

Thankfully most populated areas have moved on to 4G, 4G-LTE, and even 4G-LTE-Advanced networks and devices.

Yes, you will have higher latency using a cell phone network. It is still low enough latency that with a bit of creativity you can work around it.

Phones old enough to not support newer cell protocols are also old enough to be too slow to run high-speed games, so that mostly works out okay.

Thankfully most populated areas have moved on to 4G, 4G-LTE, and even 4G-LTE-Advanced networks and devices.

Yes, you will have higher latency using a cell phone network. It is still low enough latency that with a bit of creativity you can work around it.

Phones old enough to not support newer cell protocols are also old enough to be too slow to run high-speed games, so that mostly works out okay.

4g-map-worldtimezone.gif

Oh, apparently 4G has far wider coverage than I thought. (Well we don't have atm thanks to our president cancelling 4G bidding saying "let's better directly jump to 5G", so my view were a bit biased)

Well we don't have atm

At first, I read this as "we don't have Asynchronous Transfer Mode" which happens to be a common networking protocol used for internet back-haul :-)
But I guess you meant that Turkey doesn't have 4G support at the moment.

It also amuses me how Europe calls it "4G" and US calls it "LTE" and they pretend it's different, but it's actually the same thing, with a variety of frequency bands. A US iPhone 6 LTE will work great in 4G mode in Scandinavia, for example.

Well we don't have atm

At first, I read this as "we don't have Asynchronous Transfer Mode" which happens to be a common networking protocol used for internet back-haul :-)
But I guess you meant that Turkey doesn't have 4G support at the moment.

It also amuses me how Europe calls it "4G" and US calls it "LTE" and they pretend it's different, but it's actually the same thing, with a variety of frequency bands. A US iPhone 6 LTE will work great in 4G mode in Scandinavia, for example.

I indeed meant "at the moment" for Turkey. :)

By the way, actually 4G/LTE isn't rose garden as people can fall back to 3G/2G or can have poor performance due to crowd. But seems there is no other option beside making game less demanding (probably meaning no longer a shooter)

Again, Eliminate did fine in 2008/2009. It's as much an arena shooter as you can make for a mobile phone. Super-twitch is important for competetive players on PC with high-DPI mouse input. The input controls on a phone are not as precise, so a bit more latency is unlikely to really be a problem.

I remember playing via mobile network(plugged through mobile phone) in Counter strike 1.6. I had ping like 70ms on HSPA(signal strength around 2/5). So it's totally doable in big cities with HSPA+/LTE connection.

Ive seen multi-player games on just regular PC internet with the game's normal move speed-up of human figures by 3X (example Call of Duty) which exaggerated the negative effects of the latency (IMO) rediculously (maybe just prevented the 'die like a fly'.of reallife combat of that type if players run around like stupid maniacs all the time -- realistic tactics being too boring for most players these days)

So how slow are you willing to shift the action (maybe Slo-Mo game style might be a 'feature' rather than a problem ? IF it can apply)

--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement