How Do I Become A Video Game Composer?

Started by
15 comments, last by musically passionate 8 years, 6 months ago

Hello, William Patterson here.

I have been a music major for 4 years of my life and have completed over 90 units of music education. I am now only 1 and 1/2 units away from my music performance certificate. So I’m not amazing, but I memorized my homework and am very well versed.
My questions:
I have been looking around the internet for an entry level position at an independent video game business. I have been reading up here and there on how to do so as well. I have applied at several, however, to my expectations, the only positions I could find were at the more well known companies and no one has replied. This is somewhat discouraging considering that I write about 1 to 2 songs a week, can write on command by description for midi or live (best with my bass) transcription, and have 12 years experience on stage, 8 studying in and out of school. and over 2,500 practice hours (not to put my self up just to explain my situation better). My questions in short are:
Is there a effective site online where i can pitch my work?
Is there a network one can join for free?
What are the exact or general requirements for joining said organizations?
How can I get the attention of an underground/independent game studio for an entry level position to work my way up?
other questions:
What are the qualifications for a voice actor?
if you're interested in what type of music I write, here is one of my best midi compositions:
Advertisement
Is there a effective site online where i can pitch my work?
The short answer is no. Just about everywhere you can "pitch" your wares is already saturated with hundreds of other noise-makers. With that said, there are plenty of places where you can present yourself and many, many, many others do.
Is there a network one can join for free?
Plenty, in fact GameDev.net is one of them. There's unfortunately a slew of composers and sound designers who completely misunderstand the concept of networking. Networking is not about showing your business card and distributing your reel, networking is about connecting to other human beings. You want to get in with a company? Remember what a company means, it's a group of people. Connect with game makers and find people who appreciate your work--no one will offer you a gig until they appreciate what you do and are 100% confident in your ability to deliver.
What are the exact or general requirements for joining said organizations?
The best ones are the ones where you meet people in person. But they are everywhere and the requirements are never exact.
How can I get the attention of an underground/independent game studio for an entry level position to work my way up?
There are no positions at underground/independent game studios. There are only opportunities for collaboration with occasional pay or back-end promises. You break into games by working on games, you work on games by connecting to people who need you to work on their game.
other questions:
What are the qualifications for a voice actor?
Maintaining a purely appealing vocal characteristic while portraying a character, mood, or persona through voice alone.
if you're interested in what type of music I write, here is one of my best midi compositions:
What makes this your "best midi" composition? Why do you distinguish MIDI and non MIDI compositions?
You need to get your head out of school a bit, listen to some popular music, write a catchy melody. You want to write music for an industry? Understand commercial appeal.
- [email=dan@musicianeer.com]Dan Reynolds[/email] (Composer|Music Implementer)
www.musicianeer.com

Thank you for the reply and insight. Sorry to inundate you, but I had some more questions, if you don’t mind.

First of all, do you have any more in-depth tips on networking in the game industry pertaining specifically to person-to-person locating methods, if that makes sense. Currently I do have a network of about 100 rock musicians that I know, as well as more that I have worked with. However, I do not know anyone personally that makes video games in any way.
The sole reason I have the desire to write music for video games is because my writing style, when it comes to midi, is heavily influenced on classic games; I believe this style has remained popular in certain games consitantly throughout gaming history, here and there anyway, i.e. in games such as: Zelda, Megaman, Metroid, Mario. I feel that my style touches hints of those styles. Not to mention I hear it on quite a few recent indie games (midi digital audio).

You break into games by working on games, you work on games by connecting to people who need you to work on their game.

How/where do I find anyone who will be willing to let me work on a game for pay (or even for free) to get my name farther than it is now? Which, admittedly, is nowhere.

Also, by any chance, would you know what writing is like when you’re applying your music to a game? For example: do you write the music to the game, or write the music then apply it to the game or do they tell you what music to write to the game, etc etc?

What makes this your "best midi" composition?

It is simple with evolving shades and repeats well, I can listen to it for an hour without going crazy. I could visualize it as one level. It paints a picture in my mind. The progressions harmonically, melodically and rhythmically are sound and I just like the way it sounds.

Why do you distinguish MIDI and non MIDI compositions?

Please explain further or simplify. I apologize if that sounds dumb.

My personal belief is that commercial appeal is narrow and falls in a common pattern. Should I break away from that point of view? And I ask that question with the most respect. If so, why?
Honestly, thank you for taking the time to answer. You have given me a better understanding of what is real. Your input is really appreciated.

Re: Commercial Appeal

Many games are business endeavors, when someone spends 2-4 years of their life developing a piece of artwork they often times want commercial success to be a part of that Return on Investment--the larger picture is that video games is an industry, a commercial industry. If you want to engage that industry, you need to reconcile your feelings about commercial appeal.

Understanding how your audience will receive and perceive your work is absolutely vital when working in a collaboration. When you're writing music to accompany another artistic medium (visual, interactive, etc.), you need to have full appreciation for how your work will SERVE the end goals of the total project and the experience the user is meant to have when playing the game.

This requires artistic empathy.

Commercial appeal is built upon this foundation because it inherently cares whether or not the audience will be entertained by the work.

==============

Re: Understanding what MIDI is

MIDI is not a sound, it is not an aesthetic, it is not a style or genre, it is a communications protocol designed to communicate real-time (or stored) musical performance data to electronic devices and software.

It is instrument instructions.

I often find myself programming virtual instruments with the intention of relaying an acoustic or natural performance through MIDI. Other times, I will use MIDI to control synthetic sounding instruments. MIDI is just a means to control instrument performance.

When you say MIDI composition, I suspect that you are saying that you have written music that is specifically meant to sound 20 years old, as if a MIDI file was played back on a mid-to-late 90s computer sound card, a Super Nintendo, or a Sony PlayStation (1). This expression is often employed by non-musicians because they have a limited association with MIDI relating to downloading, sharing, and playing small music files in the 90's, dial-up version of the Internet. That's why I asked, I didn't know how you meant it.

To the modern music producer, MIDI is just a means to further enhance the music production process, a tool that empowers music makers to control incredible software synthesizers and virtual acoustic instruments or even to modulate effects for recorded and streaming audio.

With regards to music production, there are several paths you can embark on to improve your music production skills. But that isn't 100% meaningful when working on games because what if some game designer out there likes your work as it is? I can't say that there isn't, so that's not even what it's about.

That segways to part 3:

================================

Re: Networking

There are probably a lot of websites out there who can help you network with game makers in your area--the first one you should look at is meetup.com. You can also look at the International Game Developers Association to see if there is a local chapter in your area. You can also go to events like GDC, PAX, and just about any place you THINK game makers would go. With that said, if you live in some remote location where there are few to none game developers, you're going to have to travel.

Be yourself, be honest, and understand that if you don't like the kind of music people want, then you'll probably be happier just making your music and that's okay. Don't treat games like it's a placement option because you feel like your music is "game-like." There's no such thing as "game-like" because games can have any kind of music they want.

Check out the following fantastic game soundtracks:

Bastion OST:

Guilty Gear Xrd OST:

Ori and the Blind Forest OST:

Journey OST:

There's no bar or standard of production or musical skill or even commercial appeal--it's a big-huge messy world out there and there's an artistic niche for every niche artist. There isn't a career for everyone, there isn't necessarily a job or paying gig for everyone, but there's room for everyone.

- [email=dan@musicianeer.com]Dan Reynolds[/email] (Composer|Music Implementer)
www.musicianeer.com

Thank you once again.

I now understand commercial appeal. To analogize, It is like raising a child into an adult with the care and attention it requires, and one is not to unload ones own desires off on the project to create what one wanted it to become for them self, but more of as what it was meant to be for the developer. Thank you.
Midi
All of the above with the exception of midi controllers and (considering the old days, by which I believe you are referring to) 16 bit Atari and Game Boy techno and what not. Since I only write my midi tunes “note for note”, to say in the only way I have been saying it which I realize now (and I apologize if it sounds bad) is rude or pompous (authentic writing).
At times, for practice I write without listening and just write by theory, writing the entire song that way. That does not work every time, but works best sometimes. For example, https://soundcloud.com/misfiteyes/the-great-joyful-somber
My synth sounds lack, but my skills have never been with audio engineering/audio development so much as my skill set is strongest theoretically in the musical sense. Considering what you said it looks like that’s 50/50 (depending on musicality or sound and musicality) at times, anyway that’s what I gathered. Luckily for me, my lead guitarist is the one with adequate skills in audio engineering, as mine lacks with knobs, dynamic EQs, sequencers, tape delays, hardware and whatnot.
I've listened to about two hours of the music you've posted so far and I do like it. But I do understand that that's not the reason that you showed it to me, I'm beginning to understand what you mean by "commercial". The music I usually enjoy writing is very edgy, but I can see that might be hard to sell in this format. All of your advice is very much appreciated. If you wouldn't mind, may I please contact you in the future if I need valuable advice (and not just for any reason). By the way, I bought Secret of Monkey Island 2 when I was in college.
I will be reaching out to those sites, thank you once again for all of your time in replying to my posts. My sincerest gratitude.

If I wasn't clear about what kind of midi I was referring to before, I was referring to the kind you operate in a modern DAW using the grid system. I transitioned from Guitar Pro 6 using strictly notation originally. Here is a picture of a song I am not all too worried about being taken (as I'm sure it won't be, don't think anybody cares that much), but just to be clear on what kind of midi I am referring to. Standard midi notation.

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-21%20at%206.43.3

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-21%20at%206.49.4

What program is that?

What program is that?

It is Logic Pro X

I've been crunching so, honestly, I have only skimmed this thread. Becoming a game composer is easier than ever in that more and more people are making games/apps whereas before iOS/Android/etc the bar of entry was much higher. I would read up on as much as you can about the art of making game music as well as the business side of working in games (many people forget this aspect of it).

Start putting yourself out there, working for small(er) teams and projects. This is where you can cut your teeth, make some mistakes, learn some better workflow ideas and make some relationships. Nobody expects you to be perfect they just expect you to try really hard. Or... I should say, most people don't expect perfection when you're starting out. If you're applying to something like Blizzard first thing... well, they DO expect quite a bit!

Also realize that being a freelance composer/game audio guy (or gal!) encompasses many things including being your own PR/IT/accounting/legal/manager person. All in one! I started one day after reading two books (The Fat Man on Game Audio and Aaron Mark's Complete Guide to Game Audio) and having played around with electronic music for five years. I simply made a website, put up some demo reel material and made myself known to the industry. It took a lot of time, some mistakes, a dash of luck and lots of hard work and focus.

Dan (a good friend of mine) probably said most of this because he's awesome! But if he didn't, there ya go!

Best of luck!

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

And remember the only thing that matters is how good your audio sounds! Don't get sucked into the "I have to get THIS piece of gear" or "use this type of plug-in" kind of quests or debates. The better you understand your gear the better your odds of making great audio. And learn as much as you can about game audio tech (Wwise, Fmod, Xact, XML, ActionScript, etc). You may not have to ever actually code but the more you can understand how a programmer has to put things together, the better.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement