• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Nathan Drake

Radiance & Irrediance in GI

This topic is 1091 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

recently, i've started to learn more about GI and the techniques that we can use to implement.

one of the main basic things that i've learned in this topic is Radiance and Irradiance.

Radiance is the spatial density of radiation incident at a surface, regardless of the direction

and Irrediance is the same thing but with direction and orientation dependency.

in Irradiance the numerator is d?(p)

but in Radiance, the numerator is d^2?(p,w)

so my question is why the power of Radiance's derivative is 2 ?

Edited by Nathan Drake

Advertisement

I'm guessing it's because the light is distributed over a plane hence the squared, for square area?

This isn't my bag though, so I could be wrong and will wait for someone who knows more about this to chime in :)

Because radiance is flux differentiated with respect to two quantities (projected solid angle and surface area) which gives you two differential operators in the denominator and therefore two in the numerator as well. Radiometry isn't really that hard once you got it but it can take some time and practice(!) depending on your foreknowledge and basic intelligence. :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!