• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Demiurgic_Amon

Know almost nothing about Game Development; Here to learn

This topic is 1092 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Exactly what the title says. I'm a complete noob at making games, playing games, and life, and I'm here to learn on how to improve on the former two.

My Skills: To put it bluntly, Coding and software terminology (even at it's most basic) tends to fly completely over my head. Literary concepts and devices (no matter how advanced) tend to have the opposite effect. I'm distinctly more of a storyboard guy, though I once had a very basic knowledge of the Unreal Scripting Language.

My interests/the types of games I like: RPGs all the way! It doesn't really matter whether they are Western or Japanese. In addition, I also have a bit of a soft spot for shooters that break the MW/Battlefield mold.

What I want to learn: Here, I plan on learning how to become the head of a project: how to manage budget, deal with legal aspects, etc. Generally how to bring the games I dream of to life.

Advertisement

Welcome to gamedev! 

What other skills do you have? Games aren't just coding, they need artists of all forms and musicians, writers and lots of creative types.

So long as you're creative you'll find something you can do, I suggest you find a spot you're good at if not coding, and find existing projects to contribute to as there are lots of small projects that need help.

Also there are ways to create game code without typing code as such by drag and dropping flow charts, e.g. check out unreal engine 4's blueprint scripting,  and unity's visual scripting addons.

Good luck!

I'm definitely one of those creative types (a writer to be exact). Unfortunately at this point I have no formal training in the practical aspects of writing (script and screen-writing) though.

Oh, and thanks. 

My Projects: I don't know whether having already fully-formed game concepts before joining this site (or any other gamedev site) is surprising or unusual, but I'm not looking for notoriety, so here are my big three:

Frite Fuzerz: Best described as "Shadow Hearts x Goosebumps re-written by a psychotic 8-year-old with too much internet access and an obsession with comedy horror", this is an RPG I plan to make using Unity 2D after prototyping it in RPG maker. It features a turn-based battle-system that revolves around using a fear mechanic to inflict status effects on your opponents. The demented sense of humor is also a major selling point; the first boss is an encounter with a zombified mailman who eats dogs. The estimated release date is 2018

Gods of Combat: actually more of a franchise than a game by itself, Gods of Combat consists of both a free-to-play FPS (The Real Gods of Combat, or RGC) and a web-anime about a group of middle-school friends who play the game (More Than Gods of Combat, or MGC). The game segment of the project is modeled after "transitional" mid-2000's first-person shooters like F.E.A.R, Resistance, and Half-Life 2, and is multiplayer-only, featuring both accessibility and complexity as it's primary selling point. A vast array of customization options are available, such as weapon, equipment, and gadget modifications. The webtoon aspect of the project is predominantly a drama; it starts off as a slice of life, but develops a story arc revolving around both the dark side of early adolescence and the various trolls, griefers, cyberbullies, and other associated ne'er-do-wells of the online gaming world. The estimated release date for both the game and anime is 2020

GLASSHEART: the "odd one out" of my projects (it's aimed more at a hardcore gamer crowd), GLASSHEART is a narrative RPG-tactical shooter cross with a premise inspired by Fringe, CSI, and the Bourne saga: revolving around a second, parallel world to earth and a conspiracy involving top officials in both worlds threatening governments in both worlds, forcing law enforcement in both worlds to investigate and coordinate to bring down the conspiracy. GLASSHEART features tactical combat inspired by Rainbow Six; planning, both in tactics and equipment, are the key to success. Due to it's size, GLASSHEART's estimated release date is 2027 at least.

What do any of you think of these (admittedly short) project summaries?

Edited by Demiurgic_Amon

I think you should focus on actually realizing one of those games before worrying about things like "franchises."

If, as you say, you are not much for the actual programming of games, then it's good to look at (as you seem to have done) using Unity or Unreal or some other toolchain-focused engine that minimizes the amount of actual programming you'd need to do, so you basically only need to worry about the small amount of programming logic necessary to implement the unique specifics of your games.

RPGs are perhaps reasonable for this, as mechanically they can be rather simple and rather involve lots of content production, which is a thing you can handle without being a programmer yourself. Content production still takes time, though, so be careful to temper the scope of your first game.

None of the projects I mentioned are going to be my first; my plan (which may change) is to get at least some formal training in screenwriting and then work on someone else's indie game first. Or I could just make a few simple games on my own like you say (really good advice, BTW). I'm actually having trouble deciding what to do at this point (the latter would probably be better, as I could get a much better understanding of code and programming that way).

The latter is definitely better. The former option -- getting training as a screenwriter is fine, but the idea that you'll find work and build experience by helping out on other's projects by doing screenwriting? That's going to be a long, hard road with very little payoff. There's not a lot of market for that kind of work, even if you'd be doing it for free.

Ultimately, if you want to be the "head of the project guy," you need to have been able to successfully build projects on your own, somehow. This gives respectability more than anything else; nobody is going to want to work on the projects you're heading up if you cannot present any evidence that you're more than an "idea guy" who thinks he can sit back on his golden throne while his minions toil away building his imagined opus of a game. Even if you've got a ton of money to entice these people, competent developers will be savvy enough to avoid you and your pipe dream projects, unless you're dumb enough to pay them lots of money up-front without strings attached.

Good advice.

Now, about actually making that game:

Where should I start? I already have UDK loaded on my computer and am thinking of making a small platformer using pre-made assets, though as mentioned, my knowledge of coding is negligible at best. Plus, I don't really know where I can find free-to-use assets for UDK.

Any help?

If you have 0 programming knowledge and you're wanting to use UDK or Unity, step 1 is going to be to learn to program. These engines are way more than a simple framework, but it's still going to require quite a bit of programming knowledge to deliver a game. Starting off with RPG Maker is a good idea. You can possibly deliver your game and learn what you need to along the way.

If you want to start learning programming, I recommend the Khan Academy JavaScript series. It's targeted at a younger audience, but I still think it's a good resource.

https://www.khanacademy.org/computing/computer-programming

I'm not sure where to find UDK assets for free since I'm a Unity guy myself. For Unity it's right on the Unity Asset store which offers plenty of free resources. 

If you're still wanting to go down the UDK route, I recommend googling something along the lines of UDK beginner tutorial.

- Eck

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!