• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
noodleBowl

How is cross platform done

This topic is 1239 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This question is a little hard to word, but I was wondering how do people make things cross platform? How do people create one engine (EG libGDX, GameMaker, cocas2d, etc) and then are able to deploy onto different systems / architecture? Especially when considering mobile systems using Android and IOS

Edited by noodleBowl

Advertisement
That's about as hard to answer as "how do people cook."

There are many ways, many tools, and many considerations to take into account, particularly depending on the platform set you wish to target.

Most of it boils down to using building blocks that are commonly available on multiple platforms. For example, the C language is pretty much everywhere. Java supports many platforms natively. And so on.

It also highly depends on what you're building. A low-level library that does math is a totally different beast to get cross-platform than, say, a game based on 2D sprites.

And if you are set on Java (as the topic tags imply), then the unfortunate answer is that Java and iOS don't play nice.

There are a few 3rd-party toolkits that either deploy a stripped-down JVM to the iPhone, or attempt to translate java code into Objective-C, but neither of these options is a terribly effective way of writing code for iOS.

That's about as hard to answer as "how do people cook."

Most of it boils down to [...]

I see what you did there

Edited by TheComet

And if you are set on Java (as the topic tags imply), then the unfortunate answer is that Java and iOS don't play nice.

There are a few 3rd-party toolkits that either deploy a stripped-down JVM to the iPhone, or attempt to translate java code into Objective-C, but neither of these options is a terribly effective way of writing code for iOS.

Originally I was going to ask, how is it possible to take an android app and get it over to IOS. But I already knew the answer to that question kind of and you are right there is no real good way

In my situation, I have my own little game engine made in Android Studio. And I can create whatever game I want, but if I ever wanted that game to be on IOS I think I'm completely SOL

Quick solutions that come to mind are to port the engine over to IOS. Then code my game in java and use a tool like J2ObjC to make the IOS conversion. Fix up whatever tat can't be converted.

Are there better ways?

That's about as hard to answer as "how do people cook."

Most of it boils down to [...]

I see what you did there

hehehe :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!