Our Oculus Rift concept transformed to 2D (aiming for Steam Greenlight 2016)

Started by
9 comments, last by SondreDrakensson 8 years, 8 months ago

I just wanted to share some information about our upcoming game. Since this game is all about its design, i wanted to share it here on the "Design" section of the forum. I have copy-pasted this from my presentation for a steam dev group, so that's why the text is marked in grey but i don't understand why but....ok. I sincerely hope to hear your tips and/or concerns as well as questions. I have been ignored much and then im stucked with only my own mindset. I believe a vision becomes solid when more people share opinions and not just one person. Im sure you understand that.

"In the year of 2020, virtual-reality has reached a new level. One high-school in Vancouver holds their yearly Virtual-Reality Game Championship (The VRGC) where competent students gets inserted in the digital world to compete against others in various activities"
Forbidden Gameplay 2D is a 2D science-fiction multi-genre game. It is a scroller shooter, visual novel, and our pioneer genre Tactical Point-and-Click. You will play as 19 year old Liz Dille who undergoes the training sessions guided by her handler, video game design student Evalena from Sweden. Because of the fact that the game is set in a VR world, the game's design compliments that very much. When the screen tells you to push the A-button, what do you do? You don't push the one on your controller! No, you control Liz's finger to push the U-button on her personal "control panel" on her arm. And like that the game continues on. When the player.....YOU outside the screen, needs something explained, the tutorial messages that pops up on the screen will all have the same headline: "External Tip to External Player". Compliments like that is what i mean, and so it goes on. The game will also contain elements already seen in existing games such as Infinite Running and Scroller Shooter and Visual Novel segments.
The idea for FGP2D came already in 2012, but was then first imagined as a normal AAA title in modern 3D, with epic visuals and for the Oculus Rift. As i grew impatient, as well as lacked the skills necessary to make a 3D game, i decided to transform the project to a format.....and in an engine i knew i could pull it off with. I realized that this transformation would take away some of its originality and make it more complicated, but maybe that's a good thing? I decided to tell myself that "you know most people are propably going to hate this, but it is necessary!". I was unhappy with the AAA games being mostly the same over and over again, so i saw it as something wich had to be done. My goal changed, my goal was not to make an epic game anymore, not even a good game. My goal was to make an untraditional game and a strong niche title. Together with my loyal and wonderful artist Francis Cole, we decided to go for it. I hope to break into Steam Greenlight when the right time comes. It is all up to the people to decide this game's fate and if my alreade planned sequels will be developed. You could say that we are currently 30% done with the game, we are finishing the most complicated stuff first, leaving the smooth dessert last, wich will take much less time hopefully.
I hope you enjoyed reading this and would like to share concerns, advice, questions or other things. A vision becomes solid when more people share opinions. This is my first project after 4 years of practicing with Game Maker Studio and design documenting. I was involved with a professional 2D project from December 2014 to May 2015 for a multimedia company, but the company cancelled it for various problems.
Thus i am left with only this wich is my sparetime project.
REVEAL TRAILER:
[attachment=28245:fight01p09c.png][attachment=28247:fight01p07.png][attachment=28248:liz04.png]
Advertisement

My main uncertainty, I suppose, is that I don't really have an impression of how the "tactical point-and-click" side of things plays. You describe your game as being quite experimental, so it's presumably not just a tactics game that happens to use the mouse (which I imagine is fairly standard on the PC).

When the screen tells you to push the A-button, what do you do? You don't push the one on your controller! No, you control Liz's finger to push the U-button on her personal "control panel" on her arm.

Hmm... I'll confess that I'm not seeing how this improves the game--my mental image is of either something that controls a little like Surgeon Simulator 2013, or that introduces a layer between the player and their intended actions that doesn't seem to add much. Unless--having now looked at the trailer to which you linked--the "control panel" is essentially just a normal GUI, but featuring the character's arm, and the game plays similarly to most other point-and-click games. Could you explain a little further, please?

... leaving the smooth dessert last, wich will take much less time hopefully.

... Depending on what you're saving for last, I'd be careful of relying on that. Remember the adage: "The first ninety percent takes ninety percent of the time. The last ten percent takes the other ninety percent of the time." (While I believe that the saying is intended to apply to coding, I feel that it applies more generally as well.)

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

Hello Thaumaturge.

I find it hard to describe this element in a different formulation other than that you controlling the character's finger to push the button on the control panel instead of just clicking on it. When/if the game comes out this will be shown for all to understand hopefully

Of course it is a good thing to be precautious in the development stage. Since we are working after a screenplay and the game stages and elements has been figured out and made sure it could be pulled off long before development started after 4 years of learning the engine i like to say that hopefully, it will go quicker. Only one way to find out! ;)

Thank you for asking

I find it hard to describe this element in a different formulation other than that you controlling the character's finger to push the button on the control panel instead of just clicking on it. When/if the game comes out this will be shown for all to understand hopefully

Well, what about a prototype? You could perhaps put together something small--by no means the full game, nor even necessarily including all of the mechanics used in the full game--and thus perhaps get feedback on this control mechanism while you're still developing the game, and thus in a good position to make any changes that you feel called for based on said feedback.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Well, what about a prototype? You could perhaps put together something small--by no means the full game, nor even necessarily including all of the mechanics used in the full game--and thus perhaps get feedback on this control mechanism while you're still developing the game, and thus in a good position to make any changes that you feel called for based on said feedback.

Im happy to tell you that the part we are working with now is planned for being a playable demo :)

Im happy to tell you that the part we are working with now is planned for being a playable demo smile.png

Ah, excellent! I'm glad to read it. ^_^

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Didnt realize an article had been written about us

http://vrfocus.com/archives/19077/forbidden-gameplay-2d-oculus-rift-support-cancelled-for-vr-themed-point-n-click-adventure/

UPDATE:

White or black background? Our game is set in a VR World and we want a minimalistic look. speak your mind

[attachment=28843:Runner_2015_08_22_23_39_06_624.png]

UPDATE:

Seriously? A video of all text? You could have left that in the description section or just provided a link to a webpage. At the very least, you could have put in the text in Star Wars font to make it worth looking at.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement