• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
lucky6969b

Starting an DX7 Retained mode program in windows 7 x64 sp1

This topic is 1087 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Sorry, I forgot I've asked this question before. I want to start a DX7 retained mode program written

in VB6 in Windows 7 x64 sp1 I've checked the back compatibility checkbox for the program.

I've downloaded the vb activex control for DX7 and the retained mode DLL called d3drm.dll

But the function call namely Direct3DRMCreate still unable to step over.

It just fails. BTW, VB6 SP6 does work on windows 7 x64 sp1

DX8 programs do work this way. But DX7 don't.

I wonder did Intel put the silicon into the HD 3000 chip for DX7?

Thanks

Jack

Edited by lucky6969b

Advertisement

Sorry, I forgot I've asked this question before. I want to start a DX7 retained mode program written

in VB6 in Windows 7 x64 sp1 I've checked the back compatibility checkbox for the program.

I've downloaded the vb activex control for DX7 and the retained mode DLL called d3drm.dll

But the function call namely Direct3DRMCreate still unable to step over.

It just fails. BTW, VB6 SP6 does work on windows 7 x64 sp1

DX8 programs do work this way. But DX7 don't.

I wonder did Intel put the silicon into the HD 3000 chip for DX7?

Thanks

Jack

Did you try running it in compatibility mode for windows XP?

Some Retained Mode apps will refuse to work even if you have the DLL. It's simply because they dropped the DLL itself since vista, so it's not tested to work 100% on current modern OS's.

Two seconds of Google were enough, Direct3D Retained Mode removed from Windows Vista

Some Direct3D Retained Mode apps still work as long as you have the compatibility mode set along with the dll downloaded seperately. Almost all the Retained Mode samples from the DX7 SDK work for me on windows 8.1 in compatibility mode along with the dll present. I've also ran Lego Rock Raiders (one of the few popular games using Retained Mode), albeit with very, very choppy performance. Still, technically it does run all the way.

Edited by jammm

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!