Jerks: How to deal with them in MMORPGs

Started by
43 comments, last by SpittingTrashcan 20 years, 7 months ago
I think the best way to solve this ''problem'' is to let players do as they wish. I respect the opinion that you don''t want to develop your game around the ''jerks'', because then they win. But as long as we are talking about PKers.. I think they are players too, and should be allowed to enjoy the game as they wish. So a certain amount of development dedicated to these and other players isn''t unwarranted.. they have as much right to enjoy themselves as those heavily into roleplay. Some of the PKers ARE roleplaying.

I think an awesome way to deal with this is with race. Give advantages to the ORC''s (or if your orcs aren''t evil or chaotic, another race) that attract melee PKers for example. Dark elves could attract magic PKers. Humans could be neutral.. allowing both. Maybe high elves have more skills available.. or are more rounded in other ways. That way, everyone knows that most orcs are aggressive. Certain territories in your game could have wandering NPC''s, and of course will have PC''s that will attack other races. People deal with aggressive races as a race themselves.. and work as a team.

WoW almost has something like this. At least they have some sort of faction vs faction PK rules. Though Im not sure I like that most of the world (90%) is PK free altogether.

As far as the twerp 15 year old.. I think you deal with it how you deal with it most places on the net. Moderators.
Advertisement
Why not use a senate system? like in the ancient times;
500 hundred or so enter the senate and they vote for a law you want to activate, or maybe to judge someone?. that''s one of the things i have been thinking of, the possibility that for example, when a store is asking for someone to work, and a certain pc gets the job, nobody more will get it. one of the things i really want to be erradicated is the continuity in some jobs offered in games. everybody can go search the mushrooms! i mean, it is certainly necessary in some cases. but individualism is a fact that most people like. the fact that you can say, " i am working part time on the item shop" is in fact ( i consider ) really cool.
"For every human problem, there is a neat, simple solution; and it is always wrong"
First off, I''m not huge on banning accounts, unless it''s for extreme actions. The orginal doc posted had way too much "ban the account for one week" solutions in it. To me, that shows your design doesn''t have a good enough way to handle DDIs as you call them.

I think a good start to this whole problem would be to implement factions, sorta like Everquest. When you PK someone, you effect faction. In EQ, faction is only effected when you kill a NPC. Players should also count. The place you kill them should also figure in. Here''s an example, using current Everquest races.

First, a quick who likes who to set this example up. Dark Elves hate Wood Elves, Barbarians dislike DEs, but aren''t exactly friends with Wood Elves either. High Elves hate DEs and like WEs.

So, lets say a DE, Darkie, walks into the great tree city of the wood elves and kills another player, Woodie. Factions would adjust as follows:

DE''s like Darkie a lot more
WE''s hate Darkie a lot more
HE''s hate Darkie a little more
Barbs don''t care.

So, by killing players, you''re effecting how you''re treated by NPCs. This also promotes more role playing and story telling. You''ll have to be very careful who you kill, because just a couple kills can make you KoS(Kill on Sight) to a certain race. Additionally, you''d want to make more roaming NPCs then what EQ has. Certain areas would have races that aren''t playable by players, thus allowing anyone to enter them.

Anyways, I''ve often thought of a rating system where you could rate players either good or bad. The problem with this is you''d have to have an extremely air tight rule set. It''s probably doable though.

The bounty hunter idea is kinda cool. Again, this would need an very good rule set.

I also wanted to touch on this idea that no matter what level you are, you should have the same amount of hit points. People argue this is how it is in real life. Well, when I see someone cast a fire ball in real life, then maybe I''ll adapt to this idea, until then, here''s the way I see the problem.

1.) Assuming you have a fair amount of hps to start with(the number of which never change), it''ll take the low level, unskilled characters forever to kill something. The fights may balance out and be of a good length later on, but the beginning will suck. You''re going to lose most players at this point.

2.) You don''t have a ton of HPs, and so fights for low levels are of suffient length. Then, as you skill up, fights are way too short. Opposite of problem #1.

3.) You create suffient defensive abilities that keep the fight the same length(or close to it) the entire level range. This means you''ll deal about the same amount of damage forever, which is really boring. On the flip side, if you do deal more damage, then its more of a game of chance. You get lucky and land a hit on someone who may be better skilled, and you win. Better skilled characters should win a good 80% of the time or more. Otherwise, what''s the point of getting those skills. Just run around and hope to be more lucky with the dice rolls then others.

moonshot aka Jayson Bailey
Personally, I see only one consequence for twinks and other idiots that insist on causing trouble. Permaban, no refund, thank you, bye-bye. (Yes, I really hate them.)
http://edropple.com
This thread also covers this topic. If I had more time, I''d precis it here, but since I''m feeling rushed, I thought I''d just offer the link. Forum search offers a large number of other threads, most of which relate (quite a few permadeath threads cover jerks as well)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement