• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
gabre

RTS/Management game miniproject

This topic is 1084 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello,

I would like to create a mini project:

- RTS/Management game with minimal features (think of dungeon keeper but simplified)

- project language: Haskell (it offers bindings to OpenGL/GLUT and is Turing complete :D so it is possible to use it)

I would like to ask for some help and/or help (if somebody wants to develop the project with me, it is OK). I would like to progress from the most simple features to bigger ones:

- firts, the graphics will be ASCII-art (think of dwarf fortress) drawn with GLUT (I have a working prototype of this)

- I only need some simple unit types and some simple aspects (worker, warrior, enemy...)

Are there any good books in this topic? I haven't found anything yet. I know that there are different levels of RTS AI like unit level, squad level, "nation"/player level ... but don't know about any details. Could you give me some pointers?
As my notions are hard to achieve (as a beginner) we could also define a more easy/precise feature set.

Advertisement

Haskell ... you have picked one heck of a language to write a dynamic game with.

Before you get into creating a fairly complicated game using a fairly complex language, I have to ask:

Have you written anything more complex than a basic "Hello World" program in Haskell ?

If you haven't, I would recommend putting your 'game' on the back burner for now, and first becoming proficient at Haskell.

Note: If you are going to use ASCII, you shouldn't need OpenGL at all.

Edited by Code Fox

I have written some GUI applications and some other ones in Haskell, Erlang and Lisp (and tried to write very simple libraries in Idris) - I hope going functional won't make anything more complex. Dynamism - I don't think that using Haskell would make it harder, one just has to use the right techniques (and ask the Haskell community if needed).

I have already tried some possibilities in Haskell related to the GUI part I have mentioned (ASCII). I have tried "simple" strings/characters + "simple" IO monad, vty and OpenGL and I think OpenGL is the best as it already includes callbacks, timing etc. and if I use correct layers in my software it is easier to change the graphics layer from an ASCII based (tile based) one to a more complex one (non-ASCII tile based one like Warcraft2 or anything). (Btw when it comes to OpenGL sometimes it is easier to find examples)

PS.: LearnYouAHaskell is fun. :)

There are no books I'm aware of about game development with Haskell. You might want to look up simulations with Haskell, since there is some overlap there.

I assume you've already done a web search for "game development with Haskell"? You might want to consider also searching for some other functional languages and see how game development works in those. 

Ooh sorry I m not searching for game dev with Haskell (or FP) but searching for RTS game dev. I have found some books/articles but they usually give a very high level overview. The implementation part should remain for me - if I get some architectural tips and some sample algorithms I am able to write it in Haskell. :) Thanks

By the way: now I am exploring this book: AI Game Engine Programming - but it only gives some hints and no deeper information is provided (about RTS).

There are no books I'm aware of about game development with Haskell. You might want to look up simulations with Haskell, since there is some overlap there.

I assume you've already done a web search for "game development with Haskell"? You might want to consider also searching for some other functional languages and see how game development works in those. 

FWIW, there ara a couple of books, "The Haskell School of Expression" and "The Haskell School of Music". They're not exactly, about game development; the first seems to have a lot of graphics management and the second is, obviously, about music. I have not read any of them so can't say much, but I guess someone around here could find them useful.

Any book suggestion is welcome. smile.png

Nothing about RTS game dev, sorry :(

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!