RTS/Management game miniproject

Started by
5 comments, last by ravengangrel 8 years, 8 months ago

Hello,

I would like to create a mini project:

- RTS/Management game with minimal features (think of dungeon keeper but simplified)

- project language: Haskell (it offers bindings to OpenGL/GLUT and is Turing complete :D so it is possible to use it)

I would like to ask for some help and/or help (if somebody wants to develop the project with me, it is OK). I would like to progress from the most simple features to bigger ones:

- firts, the graphics will be ASCII-art (think of dwarf fortress) drawn with GLUT (I have a working prototype of this)

- I only need some simple unit types and some simple aspects (worker, warrior, enemy...)

Are there any good books in this topic? I haven't found anything yet. I know that there are different levels of RTS AI like unit level, squad level, "nation"/player level ... but don't know about any details. Could you give me some pointers?
As my notions are hard to achieve (as a beginner) we could also define a more easy/precise feature set.

Advertisement

Haskell ... you have picked one heck of a language to write a dynamic game with.

Before you get into creating a fairly complicated game using a fairly complex language, I have to ask:

Have you written anything more complex than a basic "Hello World" program in Haskell ?

If you haven't, I would recommend putting your 'game' on the back burner for now, and first becoming proficient at Haskell.

Note: If you are going to use ASCII, you shouldn't need OpenGL at all.

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have written some GUI applications and some other ones in Haskell, Erlang and Lisp (and tried to write very simple libraries in Idris) - I hope going functional won't make anything more complex. Dynamism - I don't think that using Haskell would make it harder, one just has to use the right techniques (and ask the Haskell community if needed).

I have already tried some possibilities in Haskell related to the GUI part I have mentioned (ASCII). I have tried "simple" strings/characters + "simple" IO monad, vty and OpenGL and I think OpenGL is the best as it already includes callbacks, timing etc. and if I use correct layers in my software it is easier to change the graphics layer from an ASCII based (tile based) one to a more complex one (non-ASCII tile based one like Warcraft2 or anything). (Btw when it comes to OpenGL sometimes it is easier to find examples)

PS.: LearnYouAHaskell is fun. :)

There are no books I'm aware of about game development with Haskell. You might want to look up simulations with Haskell, since there is some overlap there.

I assume you've already done a web search for "game development with Haskell"? You might want to consider also searching for some other functional languages and see how game development works in those.

Ooh sorry I m not searching for game dev with Haskell (or FP) but searching for RTS game dev. I have found some books/articles but they usually give a very high level overview. The implementation part should remain for me - if I get some architectural tips and some sample algorithms I am able to write it in Haskell. :) Thanks

By the way: now I am exploring this book: AI Game Engine Programming - but it only gives some hints and no deeper information is provided (about RTS).

Any book suggestion is welcome. :)

There are no books I'm aware of about game development with Haskell. You might want to look up simulations with Haskell, since there is some overlap there.

I assume you've already done a web search for "game development with Haskell"? You might want to consider also searching for some other functional languages and see how game development works in those.

FWIW, there ara a couple of books, "The Haskell School of Expression" and "The Haskell School of Music". They're not exactly, about game development; the first seems to have a lot of graphics management and the second is, obviously, about music. I have not read any of them so can't say much, but I guess someone around here could find them useful.

Any book suggestion is welcome. smile.png

Nothing about RTS game dev, sorry :(

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement