• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Karl Patrik Johansson

Unity How I tackled my performance issues developing an Android game in Unity

This topic is 1141 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys!

I recently wrote an article on how I tackled my performance issues while i was developing my Android game Sky Blocks.
I was hoping that this article would help you guys to get some insight when developing for android or any other mobile devices using Unity.

I also want to see what you guys think about this article as well, critique and feedback are all welcome :-)

http://www.codeandux.com/tackling-performance-issues-in-unity-for-mobiles/

Best regards,
Karl / Zerratar

Advertisement
Good writeup.

Even on the PC those are both expensive. Draw calls because they travel all the way across the system. Creating new object instances means allocating resources, adding to spatial trees, adding to rendering lists, adding to physics if it uses that, etc.

You can do some, but too many quickly kills performance.

Hey frob! 

Thank you for your reply!
I must agree, this does aim at game development in Unity in general and not really specifically for just Android!
So these apply in all cases ;-)

I've been using Unity now for almost 3 years and I've enjoyed every single bit of it. But I've also learned incredibly much during this period.
I was hoping that this would help out others that was encountering the same issues I once did.

/Karl

Great write up! And thanks for sharing.

I recently ran into this issue as well with my newest game development. But ObjectPooling did wonders for me.

Unity also has some very good plug-ins to make object pooling easy.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!