• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
moeen k

UNITY Unet vs old unity networking api

This topic is 1084 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi.

im migrating from unity 4.x to unity 5.1 and it said that new unity networking system is Unet and its more deppendant to componenets rather than scripts. as i searched about it i think its just a new framework that is based on old networking api. it has added much more functions for respawning player match making and... . in my game i just need a simple client server data connection.

i want to know does networking work in unity 5.1 like previous  versions or it has changed. and how much you know about Unet and in new unity should i work with Unet and is it good to work or not. as developer conference said it helps make a quick multiplayer just by adding some component but as we dont know much deep about it its hard to make changes to it.

thank you for helping.

Advertisement

i want to know does networking work in unity 5.1 like previous  versions or it has changed. and how much you know about Unet and in new unity should i work with Unet and is it good to work or not. as developer conference said it helps make a quick multiplayer just by adding some component but as we dont know much deep about it its hard to make changes to it.

That's going to be strongly dependent on how your game is designed an how network flow works for you.

For a game that is handled entirely within Unity and follows their model closely, then they'll work well out of the box.  The more different it is, the more work will be involved.  

On the opposite end, if you're connecting to an existing game that already has a network protocol that has little to do with Unity, then you are probably best going with your own custom everything for networking. 

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!