Beyond 640k conventional...

Started by
11 comments, last by Jezral 22 years, 5 months ago
I haven''t used anything vaguely dos-like for quite some time now. However, IIRC, you can change the memory options for older DOS programs by going into their propertis (right-click it and go to Memory).

Then all you have to do it fiddle with the memory settings, and you should be able to get things working again. And I''m somewhat suprised that this functionality is still with us in WinXP -- although it apparently has far better 16-bit support than any version of windows previously...

Simon Wilson,
XEOS Digital Development
XEOS Digital Development - Supporting the independant and OpenSource game developers!
Advertisement
Jezral, hmm, your computer must suck, mom plays fine on my winME. Try closing some programs maybe, hit ctrl-alt-del and all you should have in the task manager list is systray and explorer.

Possibility
quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Using a 32-bit DOS extender you could access up to 4GB. See DOS4GW. Using the introductory 16-bit extender that came with MSVC 1.52, I could access up to 2MB of RAM in real mode.

I wanna work for Microsoft!

I''m don''t remember which compiler Dos4GW used to come with but it''s either Symantec C++ or Watcom C++. Now, both of those compilers aren''t sold anymore, Symantec C++ gave the rights back to the guy who invented the Zortec C++ compiler and is now called Digital Mars C++ and Watcom is now distributed as Open Watcom. Now, all this to say that I have downloaded both of these compiler but I think they removed the DOS4GW extender... Not sure if it still exists...

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
A division of DLC Multimedia

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!

"gitty up" -- Kramer
[Cyberdrek | ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement