Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Arek the Absolute

DDraw Surfaces in system memory...

If I lock a buffer that is in system memory, it just seems to lock. I''m probably giving it the wrong parameters, but I can''t find what I SHOULD be giving it anywhere. Also, once I have the surface locked, how would I go about reading / writing it? Previously I''d just do something like this: locksurface->Lock(NULL,&ddsd,DDLOCK_WAIT | DDLOCK_SURFACEMEMORYPTR,NULL); unsigned short *surface = (unsigned short *)ddsd.lpSurface; int color = surface[location]; locksurface->Unlock(NULL); Granted, that is a very generic example, but it gets the point across. What would I have to change to do the same thing with a surface in system memory?

I assume that your are in 16bit color, since you cast the surface memory as a unsigned short.

The first problem I see is that you are taking mixing data types.

Your color variable is an int which is 32bits, and you are requesting data from a location that is only 16bits.

Second, your not requesting a proper location in surface memory.

You would need to do this:

void GetColor( unsigned short &usColor, LPDIRECTDRAWSURFACE pSurface, int nPosX, int nPosY )
{
// Fil up your surface desc.

DDSURFACEDESC ddsd;

ZeroMemory( &ddsd, sizeof( DDSURFACEDESC ) );
ddsd.dwSize = sizeof( DDSURFACEDESC );

// Lock the surface

pSurface->Lock( NULL, &ddsd, DDLOCK_WAIT | DDLOCK_SURFACEMEMORYPTR , NULL );

// Grab the surface memory

usigned short * pusSurfaceMem = (unsigned short*)ddsd.lpSurface;

// Grab the surface pitch - divide by 2

unsigned int uiSurfacePitch = ddsd.lPitch / 2;

// Now grab the color

usColor = pusSurfaceMem[ nPosX + nPosY * uiSurfacePitch ];

// unlock the surface

pSurface->Unlock( NULL );
}

That should work for ya... but I''m at school so that''s off the top of my head. :D

------------------------------
"I''m a decorated astronaut, I don''t make those kind of mistakes."
"Oh now wait a minute. Look I''ll show ya. I''ll enter the same calculations using what we like to call ''The Right Way''."

-Rem
Zirem Software

No prob man. Email me or contact me on ICQ or AIM is your have anymore questions. I''d be happy to help.

Email: rem@ziremsoftware.net
AIM: Remnex1

------------------------------
"I''m a decorated astronaut, I don''t make those kind of mistakes."
"Oh now wait a minute. Look I''ll show ya. I''ll enter the same calculations using what we like to call ''The Right Way''."

-Rem
Zirem Software