Composite Sprite Elbow Tips?

Started by
1 comment, last by sunandshadow 8 years, 8 months ago

I've started experimenting with animating sprites by drawing them limb by limb and moving the pieces around. For the most part it's intuitive, but I can't get joints to look right. An elbow will look fine with one pose of the arm, but bloated in a different pose. Are there any tricks to overlapping limbs to create convincing joints? Should I have a separate elbow sprite? Do I just need multiple variations?

Advertisement
Either you buy Spine with the free form deformation feature (which costs a lot), or Spriter pro (which cost less but the feature is not yet fully implemented but works relatively well). This feature, if you bind two parts, will deform automatically the image parts to look jointed.
If you don't want to use a software to do that, I've seen a lot of people using spheres as the shoulder, knee, ... it's easy for a robot for example. But for human form, I must say I've tried and I didn't succeed to make something realistic.
The idea is to just move the arm around the spheric shoulder.

Have you looked at a reference image of a human skeleton, showing where the bones in the elbow are?

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement