• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
rAm_y_

Is flash still relevant for mobile platforms?

This topic is 1086 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

As far as I know Apple haven't wanted to support flash for some time. So is there any point in making a flash game for iOS/Android? Also if you did use flash for say Android, how would you use C++ with it?

Advertisement

As far as I know Apple haven't wanted to support flash for some time. So is there any point in making a flash game for iOS/Android? Also if you did use flash for say Android, how would you use C++ with it?

I do believe adobe air allows you to package flash games to be distributed for iOS/android(but don't take my word on that, it's just what i've gleamed over time). The workflow flash offers is pretty decent for 2D games, so I'd still recommend it even today, but for web based games, i'd recommend HTML5 over flash.
As for integrating C++ with flash, I have no idea if this is even possible to be perfectly honest.

So is there any point in making a flash game for iOS/Android?

If you want.  

While new tools are unlikely, the existing tools did not suddenly break, nor did they vanish.  

They will likely continue to work just fine for several more years.  I would not start a new multi-year project using the tools, but neither would I abandon an existing project because of that reason alone.

Also if you did use flash for say Android, how would you use C++ with it?

You can write your own code that interfaces between the two.  It takes effort and work, but can be done if you are comfortable with systems integration.

If you are new to the platform, new to Flash, new to Android, new to systems integration, new to C++ on Android and new to remote debugging, that is an awful learning curve.  I wouldn't want to climb them all at once.

There are tools like Scaleform you could leverage. Note that neither C++ nor ActionScript are the preferred languages for the device. It will be work. Unless integrating the system gives you a big advantage, such as you already have a near-complete game written in Flash, or you've got an existing group of AS developers you are trying to support, that is a big investment that would likely be better spent implementing it in other ways.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!