Weekly Monster Reveals- What Voice?

Started by
1 comment, last by GaldorPunk 8 years, 7 months ago

I am building a monster collection RPG and am searching for ways to build and engage a community around the game in anticipation of a Kickstarter further down the road.

One idea I just had this morning was to have weekly "monster reveals", a little blog post where I post a good quality sketch of a monster with some background, behavior, habitat, abilities, e.t.c.

Although I am not sure what voice to write it in, either my own voice just talking about the monster, or possibly more interestingly as a naturalist within the game world writing in a Darwin-like notebook with some more character and flavor to it.

What do you think?

pocket-necronomicon.png

Advertisement

I think both are/can be used, and either one could work. In my opinion, writing weekly monster reveals as yourself would help humanize you as the game developer, which would make you seem more likable/trustworthy maybe? Which might be advantageous in a kickstarter campaign, like "hey this game looks cool and the developer who is an actual human being seems pretty chill and is giving us a window into the development of this game". Not really the same but I remember Sakurai did something like this for Super Smash Bros. Brawl for the Wii, where every day he'd post a new feature (stage, item, character, etc.) from the game and talk about it a bit.

Writing them using the voice of an in-game person sounds more like promotional material for the game, for whatever reason. Like for building up hype around your game. I can almost see an ad in a magazine/comic, like it'd be perfect for that, you know?

I think either would work. Doing it as yourself might be the safer bet if the production values are low, plus you'd be able to talk more about how they affect the gameplay and what game design or technical challenges went into making them, but doing it in character as someone from the game world would be cool if it's well done, something like Diablo 3's lore journals:

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement