The new 'Disallowed topics' rule

Started by
103 comments, last by Kylotan 7 years, 4 months ago

Secondly, I'll be responding in-depth to some points made tomorrow, as well as asking for some feedback on specific wording for adjusted rules do that we can look at allowing these topics again - I want them back sooner rather than later.

I inadvertently made a stupid suggestion, When you respond tomorrow touch on this stupid suggestion. Obviously it's rubbish idea, but it only came to mind because it's been said that sometimes mods are in a "dicey conscience delima" in making decisions/calls. Thats why i suggested it (forum Jury?! yea really sounds awkward now). But you did like the reply was invisible. You don't have to take it on board, just mention why its a shitty and rubbish idea. I can handle that.

can't help being grumpy...

Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode...

Advertisement

I'll be responding in-depth to some points made tomorrow

Had to push this back a day, family come first. I've written half a post, and will finish and post it tomorrow. Thanks for your patience.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Hopefully you will be able to take your time with the in-depth response to all of this.

Personally I really can't see the act of locking down these topics isn't a "Win" for any given view point, but rather a swat on the nose to everyone to remind them that while open and civil discussions about various hot topic issues can be productive, they can only be productive if they're actually conducted in a civil manner.

Moderators are human, and they have other things to do in life beyond babysitting stuff that frequently becomes problematic, and taking time to let everyone cool off is going to allow for a more level headed solution to be decided on rather than diving in with some form of snap judgement to stand as long term policy.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

think one of the main issues here is really the conflict of interest for moderators. These topics provoke many people, in particular our most active moderators, to respond. If the thread starts to derail, such moderators are caught in an awkward situation

I see your point, many people here has build closer bounds and are proud to be members of such a really impressive and amazing community. But even slightest miss-synchronizations in those topics between people who like eachother can make dissapointments towards each other of them.

Every time those topics are brought on, we just put dirt on ourselfs, no matter what we write and with how good intention.

We must decide wheather cost of "instant karma" is, or not, too high to continue those issues being disscused, and have GD community somehow insight into those issues, as many think it should, me including.

I've personally benefited from the discussions of sexism and racism; I think it's helping me make richer/deeper game characters.
While I agree that arguments about whether discrimination and sexism is occurring in the USA or in the game industry has led to some flamewars, in the midst of those flames we've had some great discussions.Absolutely, this sort of discussion can be important not only for people to grow as designers, but also as people; through exposure to different viewpoints and mature discussion people can broaden their experience and hopefully end up better off.
For people to benefit however, we need conversations to be civil enough that we can allow them to continue, and we need people with differing viewpoints to be able to express those views. We also need views to be presented intelligently in a way that people can understand and discuss.
This is also a business, albeit not a profitable one or even one we really want to make a profit from, and that does come with certain concerns about what can and can't be allowed. We would prefer to allow people to speak freely for the most part, but also have to avoid unnecessary liability -- we do have a duty of care not to allow harassment and bullying, and morally a lot of us feel obliged to disallow some of the more bigoted or offensive comments.

To be clear, I personally don't have an issue with implementing a warning-escalating-to-ban policy for anyone espousing racist/sexist views on these forums, instead of placing the various topics off-limits. I do expect, however, that a small-but-vocal minority of users would consider that a form of censorship as well.
Yes, unfortunately some people are going to be offended by whatever we do. Some users are also offended by us doing nothing though, so we need to try to walk that delicate balance of doing the right thing by the majority and minimising discomfort for negatively affected minorities. This is certainly not the place for derogatory or insulting comments, and ideally we want to allow discussion of these comments without providing a platform for hate-speech.

The hard truth, however, is that when it comes to discussions of topics such as racism and sexism, right and wrong are very clearly defined.
Agreed, but it seems like not everyone agrees on those definitions. Perhaps it would help to decide on the definitions our community wants to represent and make that position clear.

If I am one of those people - since my views certainly are offensive to many people - I'd appreciate some form of private message from the moderators.
Not at all, you're actually a great example of moderation gone right -- I remember you clashing with the community a lot when you were new, being down-voted quite a lot and facing multiple suspensions and warnings -- you're now one of our top rated members and very well respected.
You always seem to take care to respect and listen to the views of others, and always seem to take care when presenting any of your own views that might be more controversial.

You do have another tool already in the forum software that may be useful: You can ban people from individual sub-forums.
Yes, that hasn't been utilised much for a very long time, but it's probably something we should look at using again -- it's actually pretty ideal for some of these sort of problems.

1. to take excessive pressure off the mods:- when mods get to the stage of making sensitive decisions and you are at a point where the subjective bias of mods might be an issue. You could do it the way its done in the society- Have a jury system and make a quick "jury call" (of course this means you randomly select members, perhaps up to 15 - to eliminate bias- to vote on a particular member behavior). And of course the mods are still the equivalent of the judge. This would be a swift process and not a time consuming process as it is in the real world.
Interesting idea, but potentially problematic. What criteria do we use to select the pool of members? What if they don't respond promptly. It probably involves a bit of development effort as well if we wanted to make it work well.
Something I'd like to do in future is add a "vote to <x>" option where some minor moderation actions could be taken automatically in response to a certain number of member reports being made. We could for example automatically flag an account as spam if five or more members with >1000 reputation flagged it -- of course with a moderator follow-up to avoid abuse.

To insist that we can't talk about these things because they sometimes get uncivil strikes me as choosing the easy way out.
Absolutely, and that's not what we want to do. Contributions from yourself and other members with similar backgrounds are exactly the sort of thing we want to encourage so that others can learn and improve themselves, and what we're really trying to do here is find a way of allowing these discussions to continue without opinions like yours being buried amongst bigoted comments that end up resulting in topic-closure.
Our community -- and indeed the industry -- does have an inherent bias, and maybe that's something we need to make more obvious for those who don't realise it.

My worry about this, particularly in the light of there already being support for permanence is that we're moving from "these conversations are a pain" to being a banning offence to talking about and it's a short step there to it being a banning offence for starting the conversation about when the ban on them will be lifted (if ever).
Absolutely not something we want to allow to happen.
I mentioned the support for permanence only to show that there's another side and good reason for not simply lifting the restriction immediately. The overwhelming majority of response to this topic has been against the ban, and it's therefore easy to think the whole community supports that position.
This was never intended as a permanent rule, and will not be allowed to become permanent; I would in fact prefer in remain in place for as little time as possible.
I was planning on also addressing some potential changes to rules right here in this post, but I think it's getting long enough and unfortunately I'm a little low on time, so I'll be back to check up on responses and start off that discussion tomorrow. I will be heading over to the post with the rules to make the first set of minor adjustments as well.
As always, please keep all your thoughts coming, and let's try to get this ban lifted ASAP. :)

- Jason Astle-Adams

Random thoughts over my morning coffee (aka, not fully awake yet):

What if topics could be flagged by users as 'controversial', automatically switching into a protected mode after X users have flagged it as such. Users who have a history of going over the line in such topics would then have limits on their ability to directly post to such a topic. Not sure if an outright ban on posting to such topics would be the best, but it would be the easiest.

A more complex option for users in the limited post group could be that they can submit a reply, but it doesn't auto post to the full thread for everyone to see, but instead gets redirected to a moderation queue. Possibly allow it to be visible to a group of sub-moderators, users who have demonstrated a level headed and calm approach to such issues, and allow them to post feedback about the post's contents (Which are not visible to the general public). Restricted users do not have their posts published to public view until a moderator or trusted user signs off on it.

Or possibly even move the entire discussion out of the forums and into more of an article like section, and no one's reply can be posted to the general public without 'peer review'. The goal isn't to say "You're wrong and you should feel bad!", but rather saying whether or not you have presented your views in a clear and polite manner, and to have someone else double check your statements for you before and point out if you are being unclear or even just a jerk before your comments are published out in the open.

I believe that there is a lot for all sides to learn in conversations about some of these topics, but you can't have a discussion if it boils down to two or more sides simply yelling at each other without actually listening to the other's arguments.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

Swift/Kaite, has anyone on this site said anything truly bigoted/misogynistic?

The problem with this threads is always the same if you look at them. They start off civil for a few pages, then insults come out starting with either "You misogynistic CIS scum!" or "SJW like you are killing the gaming industry!".

The fact is, this will always be a problem for the site if you truly can't get over the (ludicrous) idea that people sit on here while waiting for their KKK meeting to start because it makes it impossible for you to read content in objective terms.

Of course, the opposite applies for users who come onto the forum and start posting rants about Anita and how she's going to destroy the industry, just that I can't think of any off the top of my head who aren't banned.

That's not really how sexism and racism works. Sure, you have your outright, upfront and obvious sexism/racism, but there are a lot of subtle slights and jabs against women and minorities, that a lot of well-meaning people who don't think of themselves as racist will often do. And oftentimes when said people are confronted by for their actions, rather than do some self-reflection they get offended because they think they are being lumped in with the extremists like the KKK.

EDIT: And to bring it back on topic to the thread, that is why I think it's a bad idea to ban these kind of topics, as it means that women and minorities will basically suffer the death of a thousand cuts here, having to deal with small slights, but never actually able to talk about them. I'm totally fine if we end up losing a poster who's good at developing games but terrible at self-reflection.

I think it's a bad idea to ban these kind of topics, as it means that women and minorities will basically suffer the death of a thousand cuts here, having to deal with small slights, but never actually able to talk about them. I'm totally fine if we end up losing a poster who's good at developing games but terrible at self-reflection.

Again please note: it is the lack of civility that caused the issue.

Over the years there have been many in-depth discussions on the issues. Unfortunately, for each discussion that has been good and civil, there have been multiple discussions that resulted in trolls, abuse, and personal attacks.

Note the rules (that have been in place since I started lurking on the site 15 years ago) are that personal attacks are never tolerated, and also that people should not start topics that incite flame wars, including topics on race, nationality, sex, and religion. When those topics were created in a way that did not immediately incite flame wars, they tended to last until the flames began. As long as discussion was kept civil it could continue. When someone started with uncivil behavior, usually a single comment by a moderator is enough to keep the topic respectful.

You write that we will be "never actually able to talk about" these issues. That is untrue. We have discussions on the issues frequently in various parts of the site, including design questions and business questions, plus occasional lounge discussions. While some get a little heated, as long as they remain civil they have been allowed to continue. Discussion and debate on sensitive topics is allowed even when people disagree; insults and attacks about sensitive topics are not.

Unfortunately there have been many topics started that were inherently inflammatory. There were also several good civil topics that went severely off track, resulting in a large number of insults and attacks within minutes. Considering the normal pace of discussion on the forums, that is a rapid explosion.

The temporary restriction is a little time to let people cool down.

Once tempers and heads have cooled down, civil discussion on controversial topics can continue.

Again please note: it is the lack of civility that caused the issue.

I'm not sure we have widespread agreement on that point. Apart from the GG troll who came in from outside, most of those discussions were quite civil, as lounge threads go.

On the other hand, we had quite a few members, moderators included (with great civility, I might add), expounding dubious opinions supporting various forms of discrimination. That's far more problematic to my mind, than a few bruised egos over impolite posts.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Ah, a double-edged sword this is!

From the moderators' perspective, a temporary ban on certain topics seems a very good thing to do, until the heat of the fire cools down a bit.
I come from various other forums (particularly the forums of The Game Creators), where they have banned tons of topics with no ifs, ands or buts about it. They're just banned. Talking about them in any sense? Thread locked, key thrown away, moderators message you and say "Sorry, disallowed topic!".

So, at least GD.net has the good sense of letting us talk about the ban itself, and it really does seem to be only temporary; to give the staff a well-deserved break, and to let the community cool down a bit too.

I never participated in these subjects anyway so it's no difference to me. That being said...

From the community's perspective, a sudden ban of topics is a little disconcerting. Bit I think jbadams is handling it very well, and it doesn't look to me like he's trying to start a dictatorship of any kind (not yet, anyway! :P ), so again I think a temporary ban makes sense. Gives everyone a break, and now you don't have to worry about a new thread about GamerGate popping up. :P

My website! yodamanjer.com
My development blog!

Follow me on Twitter! [twitter]jwg1991[/twitter]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement