• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
CaptainVG

Is it considered unprofessional for a game designer to be a fanboy?

This topic is 1148 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My dream is to make games only for Nintendo and as a result, I'm a huge Nintendo fan. But now starting my career as a game designer, I wonder if I can still rant about bad games publicly and whether its considered unprofessional for someone being a game designer.

Advertisement

It's somewhat inappropriate to negatively "rant" publicly if you are also identifying yourself publicly as a professional in the industry. This is especially true of games or products that your own could be seen as in competition with. Well-reasoned arguments and discussion are fine, and the occasional burst of frustration on Twitter when some bug renders your game un-completable are probably forgivable, but frequently descending into histrionics and bad-mouthing is likely to be viewed unfavorably.

If you're ranting in the sense of "overjoyed adoration of same particular game," then maybe some people will raise a few eyebrows at your fervor but otherwise it shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by Josh Petrie

I wonder if I can still rant about bad games publicly and whether its considered unprofessional for someone being a game designer.

That would almost entirely depend on your content and presentation and to a smaller degree, your sense of self-preservation. The use of the word "rant" though, doesn't bode well.

Edited by Stormynature

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!