Source-engine

Started by
7 comments, last by MarioLuigiMan 8 years, 8 months ago

I want to make a game with rocket jumping. Should I go about using the Unity engine which I am familiar with or the source engine which im trying to learn? Also does anyone know any good source sdk tutorials as well as any info regarding source 2? Thanks in advance

Advertisement
Moving to For Beginners.

You could probably leverage either game engine to make a game. I've no idea which would be a more natural fit for your game, since the short description of "a game with rocket jumping" is hardly a comprehensive design document, but with a bit of effort I'm sure you could generate an excellent game with either system.

I want to be able to do rocket jumping similar to tf2's rocket jumping. With puzzle elements

If your primary goal is to complete a game, I would say stick with the engine you know (Unity).

If your primary goal is to learn a new engine, choose the new engine (Source).

Hello to all my stalkers.

Well I am also wondering if anyone knows any good tutorials for source engine or I basically have to read the official documentation and read through all the code? I do want to learn some source engine though :)

Stick to Unity. For better or worse, Unreal and Unity have commoditized the game engine industry, and there's not a compelling argument for using <insert random company>'s in-house engine for third-party developers anymore. This applies to Source just as much as to any other in-house engine.

Rocket jumping is a pretty trivial mechanic. If a rocket explosion goes off then add a physics impulse to any object in the explosion radius pushing the object away from the explosion. Done.

Sean Middleditch – Game Systems Engineer – Join my team!

Thanks Ill just use Unity3d for it :)

Well I am also wondering if anyone knows any good tutorials for source engine or I basically have to read the official documentation and read through all the code? I do want to learn some source engine though smile.png

You'd have much better luck asking in one of the half-dozen of active Source Engine-specific development/modding communities. They can point you to the up-to-date resources.

I think I'm better off with Unity3d XD

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement