Torque Game Engine

Started by
8 comments, last by skillfreak 22 years, 5 months ago
Has anyone purchased this? If so, what did you think of it? www.garagegames.com o, and how many weeks until you received it. =)
Advertisement
You might want to search the forum. There was a post or two floating around here about the torque engine.
Bah, That engine is Wayyyyy overhyped, if you wanna make a game and have the knowledge to make the engine do what you want, odds are, you can figure out how to write one on your own. Plus, why spend $100 bucks on an engine to make a game you have to release through GARAGE GAMES and no one else?
"Luck is for people without skill."- Robert (I Want My Island)"Real men eat food that felt pain before it died."- Me

Writing a game in the torque engine is as hard as writing a tribes mod, no more, no less. This is a far cry from the skill and effort involved in writing an engine from scratch. Go write your own engine, black_mage_s. Your game will be as good as mine, but mine will be out and sold a year earlier.

It''s a good engine, and $100 is very reasonable for what you''re getting. It''s a current, proven engine that has been used in multiple commerically successful projects. Compare $100 with what you''d need to pay for Unreal, LithTech or the latest quake engine. I''m quite happy with my own purchase of torque..

Oh, and it''s zero weeks until you get it. Once you pay the $100, you get access to the download site and the Torque developer''s CVS. You have the option of going with the last release or the up to the second development version.

If you want a physical CD, you pay a little bit extra, and that will take quite a while to come in the mail.
Apparently there is no sound support.

BTW, for your first foray into 3D gaming, Torque is not such a bad idea. black_mage_s obviously has an exclusive contract with the biggest publishers on the planet that give him all of the profits of his work. The torque engine was VERY EXPENSIVE to produce and for you to get it for 100 dollars is a VERY GOOD DEAL. How much do you think the Quake engine cost to produce hmmmm? 100 bucks? I don''t think so.

Having Garage games take a larger slice of the pie will probably work out cheaper for you as you get to circumvent about 3-4 years research, prototypes, math education, and development to get the torque engine, now THAT''S expensive.

D.V.

Carpe Diem
D.V.Carpe Diem
quote:Original post by DeltaVee
Apparently there is no sound support.

The latest versions have sound support through OpenAL.
Sorry, I based my previous statement on a post that claimed no support. I stand corrected.

D.V.

Carpe Diem
D.V.Carpe Diem
even the original Quake engine costs $25000 for a commercial license. And a publisher would screw you anyway. These guys actually give you a fair publishing deal.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
These guys actually give you a fair publishing deal.

Assuming you ever get to the publishing stage

Which is why the engine is a deal.

D.V.

Carpe Diem
D.V.Carpe Diem
Original Quake engine is free under GNU policy. Otherwise its 10K. Not 25...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement