Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Malachi

Loading .exe in Visual Basic 6

Hi, I am creating a menu for my CD using Visual Basic 6. I want to load a separate .exe file which you can only access from my menu but I forgot the code on how to do it. Can someone refresh my memory on how to do it please?

VB might not be the best tool to use for a program that runs from a CD, what if the VB runtimes are not installed on the user''s system? Does your autoplay program detect this and offer to install them? A VB program cannot do this, you would probably have to write a stub program in either C or Delphi to do this.

I''m a VB programmer first and foremost, but when I needed a tool to produce an autoplay CD for my game (the game was developed in VB), I rejected VB for the reasons above and chose AutoPlay Menu Studio from:
www.indigorose.com

This product allows you to shell out to other exes on the CD, e.g. your setup program. It also allows you to create some fancy menus.

Yeah I tried the menu on my friends computer and it never worked due to the VB runtime files not on his system. So I took the menu back to my house and extracted the runtimes files onto my CD and reburnt it. Took it back and my menu worked with out having to install the VB runtime files on my friends computer(even my auto start worked). Its looks like VB can load the runtimes files off the CD if they are not found on the hard disk.

Interesting... I''m impressed.

I always thought the VB runtimes had to be registered. Perhaps the VB exe registers the VB runtime if it finds it in the same directory on your CD, or perhaps the exe doesn''t need the registered part and just uses it as a standard DLL.

Anyway, it sounds like as long your exe just uses what''s in the VB runtime and doesn''t use any external ActiveX controls (which would need registering) then you should be OK. Although I would thoroughly test it on various non-VB runtime PCs.