• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
renman29

256 or 1024 color palettes/rotation (with 32bit color)

This topic is 1232 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to figure out how to use 32bit color display mode but still use something like an 8bit 256 color palette (or better 1024 color palette) so I can set very precise color gradients and do palette rotations and other effects with them.

[ie: 16 color shade gradients like for example: black to red, black to blue, black to yellow, ...... blue to white, brown to yellow, etc...]

My best guess so far is to use a shader to pick the closest colors - and perhaps have them calculate a color to match to based on how the original color gradients would be calculated. I want to do this to avoid white-washing, burn-outs and other color destroying artifacts from some other shader layers -- also I want it to look somewhat retro too (like Sega Genesis retro). 

Also I was hoping to do some palette swapping and rotation effects.

Anyway, all ideas - abstract, beginner or otherwise - are totally welcome. (^_^)

Advertisement

Save your palett-color-index encoded into 16bit texture (up to 65536 colors), then use this color/256... color/64 to index into a 1D texture containing the final color (->shader).

Edited by Ashaman73

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!