EXPLOSIONS SIMULATIONS

Started by
4 comments, last by invitro 22 years, 5 months ago
Hi, I would like anyone suggest some ideas to simulate explosions in 3D, basically using lowpolys and OpenGL... I was thinking to make an Sphere textured with some fire image... and masked. starting with alpha=1.0f and vanishing to alpha=0.0f and increasing radius.... adittionaly some expansive wave.. with an white blended circle over the floor.... and first problem is that it has to run fast!!!! of course... overlapping some particle system''s explosions with 3d objects.. but the main explosion is the problem thanks any other idea? thanks aagain
Advertisement
In general explosions are 2D animating sprites...
it looks like your just trying to map a bitmap onto a sphere and make it expand outwards and making it transparent, like in quake 2.

i dont know where this guy says that explosions are just 2d anmiations, because i havent seen that in any games ive bought in the last 2 years.

2d explosions went out with Duke nukem 3d
"Luck is for people without skill."- Robert (I Want My Island)"Real men eat food that felt pain before it died."- Me
Hehe that''s funny...

Lets see... Quake 3 uses 2D explosions, so do Tribes 1,2 and UT, and Half-life and...

Perhaps you didn''t buy any of those games
2D explosions are just fine. Take a look at the tutorial that comes with Studio MAX 4. It uses a 3D model asteroid sandwiched between two exploding billboard textures, and it looks awesome! As long as your textures are on a billboard, you can''t tell the difference.

Landsknecht
"For gold or glory, but never for free!"
My sig used to be, "God was my co-pilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him..."
But folks whinned and I had to change it.
Anyone seen the explosions in Aliens vs Predator? They are actually affected by the surrounding environment. It''s hard to explain, but it looks really cool.
-----------------------------Reporter: Are they slow-moving, chief?Sheriff: Yeah, they're dead. They're all messed up.-Night of the living dead

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement