Unity Asset Store license

Started by
3 comments, last by Ryan_001 8 years, 8 months ago

Simple question, if I purchase content from the Unity Asset store, can I use it in a non-Unity game? I've read through the license (https://unity3d.com/legal/as_terms) and the following seemed to imply it was ok:

"Licensor grants to the END-USER a non-exclusive, worldwide, and perpetual license to the Asset to integrate Assets only as incorporated and embedded components of electronic games and interactive media and distribute such electronic game and interactive media."

That said I was wondering what other people thought?

Advertisement

I wouldn't see why not. No where does it state explicitly that the assets have to be used in unity projects. Not to mention most of these assets are also sold on other sites by the same peoples suggesting the same conclusion.

most of these assets are also sold on other sites by the same peoples suggesting the same conclusion.

That actually is not suggesting anything. If you create something you can sell it however you like and where you like because you are the IP owner. Nothing stops you to sell the exact same thing under different licenses even if they are completely different (example: the same library may be free for open source projects and paid for commercial ones).

Licensor grants to the END-USER a non-exclusive, worldwide, and perpetual license to the Asset to integrate Assets only as incorporated and embedded components of electronic games and interactive media and distribute such electronic game and interactive media

This however says that you can use the asset in "electronic games and interactive media". So as long as your project falls into one of those categories you should be good to go (I said "should" as I'm not a lawyer :))

Please be careful to note that the license is about the store, not the contents in the store.

Reading it carefully, that document allows buyers and sellers to use the site as a marketplace. It is an agreement that lets buyers come in, read the product labels and share reviews. The agreement also lets sellers come in and put their products up, even with a possible cost of zero.

That is not the license agreement for the individual products. The products have their own licenses, some better specified than others.

Written differently: Those are the rules to be at the bazaar generally, the rules of conduct for the semi-public area with thousands of others. They are not the terms of sale with individual vendors at the bazaar, which are likely different.

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement