• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Making game tools/editor in java

This topic is 990 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi fellow gamedevs! smile.png

I'm making a 3d puzzle adventure game for android, so far I got the code to load assets (so far only textures, meshes, fonts, and levels). Now so far, the levels are hand made (they're just textured plane + walls so far + list of objects and their position, so quite easy to make by converting ascii mesh or written by hand). However, I'm thinking of a more robust model. What if I made an editor just for that, with gui and whatnot so I can supply enough information thru the input box.

I have researched about the feasibility of creating a web based app to approach this problem. So I made a webgl based app. The gui is easy. Forms and inputs, yeah. The assets loading, however, is a NIGHTMARE. I never got so intoxicated for too much javascripting like this before. Really, this is not healthy. Hence why I looked for an alternative.

So I thought hey, why not just make the editor using java, so I could reuse (almost) all the asset loading code (with a slight modification, of course)? plus I get the added benefit of the editor being cross platform (I only intend to use it on windows and linux tho, since those are what I frequently work on). However, I never touched java gui programming before. Do you think it's a good idea? I just went back from my town's book store and my university library, there was a lot of good java programming books, but I have yet to find one that speaks about this particular subjects (GUI). (Most of them only tells about the basic of java, the OOP in depth, and java network programming and database with java).

Also I heard once my friend's brother said that java has a hell lot of GUI library. What? I just need a simple means of browsing for files, entering text in a field input, and also rendering objects in 3D (OpenGL). Do you guys know any good books or sites with nice tutorials on said subject?

Advertisement

Official Java documentation https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/uiswing/TOC.html is quite extensive (for me, at least). It uses Swing, as that's available in the standard SDK so you don't need to add another Gui package. Quite early in the tutorial it pushes you into netbeans. While I can see the use of it for bigger projects, I didn't encounter it any more in the tutorials (but I skipped fairly quickly to coding plain Java from examples, so ymmv here).

The new Java version (8) uses JavaFX instead of Swing, but I didn't use that as I needed to be Java 6 compatible.

Mmmph... if you are only interested in making something that just splaps levels together, you could make a plugin for some powerful software that already exists.

Blender uses Python.
Autodesks Python.

If you're dead set on Java. Or you understandably have needs more complicated than that, take a look at this.

https://wiki.qt.io/Qt_Jambi

QT has a visual editor for laying out your GUI. All you need to do is provide the coding back end. If you ever fooled around with Windows forms... it's a bloody nightmare. I'd rather have an intimate relationship with hourly bed room courting with a friggen deathclaw  and a giant ill-tempered female spider than live through that crap again.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Tangletail

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement