• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
lpswhuppy

OpenGL vs DirectX

This topic is 1073 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have been programming for years with basic C++ knowledge and a lot of programming knowledge in general.

I would like to start game developement and I was wondering if I should try to use DirectX or OpenGL?

No matter what I would like to use C++.

Advertisement

In regards to game development, it really doesn't matter. As you might have already figured out yourself, they're graphic APIs and you can reach the same goal when properly using either of them.

If you really want to do some game programming, I would suggest using an existing framework/engine (SDL, SFML, OGRE3D or Horde3D come to mind). These engines/frameworks take away all (or most) of your worries and you can just focus on the game aspect. If you really want to have a full fledged game engine you can use Unreal Engine. I'm not sure why you are keen on sticking to C++, but Unity3D is also a nice option.

Now if you want to make something completely from scratch (which I would not recommend if it's a game you want to make), then it really doesn't matter. The only real deal breaker for DirectX is if you are not developing on/for a windows machine. Other than that, just pick one that peaks your interest the most.

If platforms outside than the Microsoft ecosystem are important to you, especially mobile, OpenGL.

If you're happy being limited to the Windows world, Direct3D.

Your question has been asked so many times that the following line was added to the For Beginners forum FAQ about it:

"This" versus "that" threads are considered flame bait and will usually be closed on sight. Such questions have usually been asked before, several times, so there should be no need to ask them again.

The very first response to this question last time you asked it was a link to a Google search for those previous discussions, and opening just a few links from the first page of those results turns up a wealth of discussion on your question which should give you more than enough information to make a decision.  In addition, a couple of people have given you responses directly in this topic, which you have rudely dismissed as "not answering" your question.

If a moderator closes your topic you should not simply repost the same question a couple of months later.

Researching is an important skill for developers to learn, and you were actually given a link with a whole list of discussions which answer your question as directly as it can possibly be answered.  All of the information is available to you, and all you need to do is read through it and make a decision.

If you refuse to do your own research and are rude to those trying to respond to you then yes, your topics may be closed by a moderator -- that is how online discussion forums work.

(Note: This post added in response to the OP reporting Promit's closing post for moderation.)

This topic is 1073 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.