Game visual style idea

Started by
3 comments, last by Gian-Reto 8 years, 6 months ago

Hi everyone,

Recently I've been to some pretty awesome, dramatic locations where I took some video footage

I've been toying with different ways of stylizing the footage to give it a unique, darker feel I particularly like.

Here's a very short clip (with added music), but you'll get the idea of what I'm after:

I think turning raw video clips into something like this allows to create some interesting video game locations. Because of how it turns out, I think it would be possible to embed different dynamic elements onto the footage (characters, buildings etc) in a very fitting, convincing way.

The first type of a game that comes to mind is a good old point-and-click adventure, where you interact with specific dynamic elements in each location then move onto another scene.

The other is actually a side scroller / platformer - as long as the original video was shot in a res high enough, it should be no problem to "zoom in" to a fraction of a scene and let the camera follow the running / jumping character in a usual way

What do you guys think?

Advertisement

I quite like that effect: it's interestingly oily, almost painterly, without obscuring the elements of the scene overmuch.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

Thanks Thaumaturge,

That's what I'm going for - have some clarity, yet be "painterly" enough so it's reasonably easy to prepare suitable artwork to go with it (characters) etc

"painterly"

I've been seeing this word being used more and more. What exactly do people (non-artists) mean by it, though?

"painterly"

I've been seeing this word being used more and more. What exactly do people (non-artists) mean by it, though?

I guess they mean it looks like an oil or watercolor painting as opposed to photorealistic, cartoony or other forms of art styles less linked to fine arts of old times.

I do not really want to comment on your Threadomancy, but maybe you should open a new thread when you want to discuss slightly offtopic stuff in a thread that is almost a month old smile.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement