Most Common Res/Bit setup?

Started by
6 comments, last by Eber Kain 22 years, 5 months ago
What would you say is the most common/compatable res and bit depth. This is a trival question, im trying to decide what default values to have my config program set for. I think 800 x 600 @ 16 is the most common?
www.EberKain.comThere it is, Television, Look Listen Kneel Pray.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Eber Kain
im trying to decide what default values to have my config program set for.

Good choices are the desktop resolution or the highest supported resolution. Anything beyond that should be configured by the user.

I wanna work for Microsoft!
Well any half-decent card that supports GL (and even those that don''t) should support 800x600x16, so I''d go for that. Or have a little selection window pop up when the program loads, like the NeHe II basecode on the main page.
_________"Maybe this world is another planet''s hell." -- Aldous Huxley
Just make sure you check to make sure whatever resolution you decide on is actually supported by the system before you run it - I'm thinking more about the monitor than the graphics card. I'm sure there are still users with older monitors which may well not support resolutions above 800x600.

Check out the EnumDeviceSettings and EnumDisplaySettings functions and find a suitable resolution.

But in answer to your original question, I think a 800x600x32 would be an appropriate choice - 32 bit colour simply improves the visual quality without much of a performance drop.

By the way, it seems that most people prefer to run their desktop resolution higher than they play games at. So i would personally stay clear of that.

Edited by - Shag on November 14, 2001 2:18:09 PM
Having thought about it - I''m sure that even Quake3:Arena uses a default of 640x480x16 - which must be a MINIMUM requirement for any OpenGL card ... I''m not absolutley certain of this, but it would make a lot of sense since the days OpenGL accelerators were introduced for the mass market.
Go for 640x480x16 fullscreen. I doubt that there''s a card that can''t do that.
You wrong, the cards at my school only work in 32 bit mode, it dosent matter what the res is, it will not work in 16 or 24 bit modes.
www.EberKain.comThere it is, Television, Look Listen Kneel Pray.
What cards are they? But like I said - choose a base minimum, and then try various settings until you find a suitable setting that works!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement