• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Prot

Unity Why should I ever program a game again?

This topic is 1062 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi folks,

the title might be a little misleading. Just to clarify things, a little about me:

When I was a child and saw video games for the first time, it was clear to me I have to become a programmer in order to develop games. So I did study computer science, just to end up as a programmer in the business sector sad.png

I still do develop small prototypes at home. During my College time I started out with XNA and still do my work in MonoGame. But now I start to wonder,

are game developers dying out? Is/Will the industry of video games (be) driven by designers and not by developers anymore? I imagine it like developers are still needed but only the very, very best will be hired for engine/graphics development?

The point is we have Unity, UDK, Cry Engine...you know them all. So I wonder why should I torture myself into OpenGL/DirectX or anything that is more driven by programming while people with very low (or no) programming skills can create finished products within months? There must be any advantage?!

Why am I asking:

I still hope to get a job in the game industry some time. So should I try to improve my programming skills or just do as most people do and start working with some powerful Engine. I mean over 50% of AAA titles are developed in UDK anyway. Soon Valve will release Source 2, who knows maybe we then have another powerful tool.

I am a little frustrated as I feel like studying computer science was a completely wrong thing to do. I know this question might be very opinion based, but I would like to hear some of your opinions especially if you already are working in the business.

Greets

Advertisement

The difference between games that use the Unity editor/scripting language and games that use unity just for the Graphical stuff is immense. Programming won't be replaced for a long time.

As long as people still need tools with custom features, programming will never die. This goes the same for game engines that might be missing functionality that you want to achieve and if that is the case get ready to get your hands dirty in source. I can see how engines such as Unity / UDK etc... give the feeling of where is programming going, but even in Unity which I have been using I write custom C# scripts all the time and this is not Unity language it is C# so you are programming still.

You guys are clearly right. Programming will not die out. I guess I am simply a little disappointed about the fact that a game can be done with almost no coding.

I mean at the time when I decided becoming a developer I did not even know how many different roles are involved into the process of game development. I always thought "You just have to learn coding, then you can develop any game you want."

Now I had to realize that my programming knowledge is less important than, let's say a game designer's or a artists (2D/3D) knowledge.

So I feel like I am facing the following problem:

If I want to make games (fast and efficient) I would have to switch to one of the engines. On the other hand I consider myself a developer who is constantly afraid of not keeping up with innovations in the "programming world". This is why I see myself confronted with a landmark decision (is this proper english here ?).

Edited by Prot

My share:
- I don't believe any AAA title is or will be done within months, with little coding
- the suggestion that 50% of released AAA games use UDK doesn't match my information. I can barely name any title using UDK (with the addition that I can name a number of tenths of released games last few years). I believe lots of studios developed their own engine and will continue doing so

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!