what to major in college?

Started by
10 comments, last by Tom Sloper 8 years, 8 months ago

I'm looking for a college that will teach me a skill

So, I'm currently in college myself, while working almost full time in the industry and doing indie stuff on the side. Let me tell you my thoughts on college and finding one that will teach you a skill.

Answer: Most won't. Plain and simple.

A lot of the people I know in surrounding colleges and my college aren't learning directly from the classroom or textbook. We're learning from giving ourselves the experiences we need. We started a small studio and worked on a few games, and even released one. That gave us all lots of experience to get started. We used our school for their Digital Tutors licence, the tools they provided, and the out of classroom mentorship they could give us.

Where I am in college, I'm still learning very basic programming, game design, etc., but my skills are far beyond that where I don't 100% need them. Is that to say I'm not learning anything in school though? Nope, there are plenty of things I'm learning, but they aren't teaching me a skill. I am teaching myself the skills I need to know to get where I want to be in the games industry.

Find a school that offers good programs and has a good community. Make friends, socialize, attend networking events, and you'll do just fine. Also, work on games as much as you can.

Working in game marketing/community management at Harmonix during the day, and working on my own indie projects on the weekends at Play Nimbus.

Twitter: @Nick_Mudry

Blog: http://mudry.me

Advertisement

Find a school that offers good programs and has a good community. Make friends, socialize, attend networking events, and you'll do just fine. Also, work on games as much as you can.

Excellent advice.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement