Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Xewren

OpenGL animating .ms3d - model on OpenGL

Anyone know how to add an animation to OpenGl? Can I use some static models at the same time? With animation i here mean an animated MilkShape model. Any source would be very much appreciated! Xewren

I personally would use a format like .md2 or .md3 for animating. They''re really easy to read in and draw and theres plenty of articles on them on Nehe''s site under Game tutorials theres an md2 model loader. I''m not to sure about animating in MS3d I personally think its only good for static models but thats just my opinion

Guest Anonymous Poster
On the Milkshape 3D download page... you can find source code for animation (although it loads the ASCII file, and not the MS3D file... but all you''ll have to change is the format it reads, and not the animations/structures).

Billy

Check out rsn.gamedev.net for loading and animating ms3d.

There are a few things you should think about when choosing file-format: Ms3d is skeleton-based which means that a ms3d file will take much less space than a MD3. And it would be easier to do things like changing the animation at run-time using ms3d. On the other hand, a md3 wouldn''t take as many math operations to draw, so it''ll be a bit faster than ms3d.