• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Platzak

Is Javascript easy if you know basic C++

This topic is 1136 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello,

The last year, I learned (and am still learling) the basics of C++ in my spare free time.

(A rough sketch: from variables untill inheritance).

Now, for some weeks, I am thinking to start making a small app for mobile devices, 

because after a year of only seeing console applications, you want to do something bigger

and more exciting. Now I came to the conslusion that Javascript might be a good language to

learn for me now. As you can make android applications and website's with it.

But before I start learning another language, I wanted to know: is

it hard to learn javascript once you know basic C++?

(And maybe too: what are good rescources to start learning it)

Thanks.

Advertisement

Thanks,

one additional question: would it be better for me or easier (althought I'm not

aiming for it to be easy) to learn C#. Because when I chose which language I would

learn to use to make apps, I was doubting between JS en C#?

thanks again

As I said in my first post, my goal for now is to

make an android (and maybe IOS) application.

(not a game, but more a gui application)

*Addition:

The reason why I doubt between JS and C#: C# can be cross platform, when using 3rd party software.

JS: comes in handy for web development in the future.

You need to ask yourself what kind of applications you want to make. Depending on that, changes a lot. If you want to make a web based application that connects to a DB you are going to need to know a lot more then just Javascript. Consider web-frameworks and the languages they use. Sure you could use something like NodeJS but that is the closest you are going to get to just learning Javascript and thinking that is all for your web based application. C# and JS are not even comparable by any means nor' in the same realm.

Now you could say should I learn Java or C# for application development. JS also comes with security limitations there is only so much a browser will let you do using JS since it can be potentially harmful if they didn't do that. If you are looking to make an iOS application you should be looking into Swift language. If you want it to be solely web based that it really isn't an iOS application but a web application that can be accessed on any OS with a browser.

Edited by wicked250

Is Javascript easy if you know basic C++

Yes.

If the average Web programmer can use it then any quasi-sentient life form should be able to pick it up pretty quickly.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!