• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Xbox Game Bar Windows 10

This topic is 982 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi

I am wondering if anyone knows how to disable the new Game Bar in Windows 10 that pops up in a game when it starts up? I know the player can hide it by a computer setting but it would be nice if I could disable it somehow in C++ so it never shows up.

Greetings,

Advertisement
No, you cannot disable it.

Disabling parts of the OS is usually never a good idea, and is exactly why MS has been avoiding programmatic access to OS features in the last several years.

Why exactly are you trying to disable it? If you don't want your users to record game footage or take screenshots that's pretty much impossible.

Nah it's just annoying and some people don't know how to disable it and think its part of the game or something...

Programmers using Windows: "Why does Microsoft/Apple/Google insist on making decisions for us, and forcing us into their categories? They are dumbing down everything!"

Programmers making games: "How do I programmatically disable something, forcing my customers to not use it, to dumb down my games and make decisions for my users?"

tongue.png

Is this an actual problem your users are having, or pre-emptive planning?

Surely a user seeing the same XBox banner across ALL their games, will realize that it's part of Windows (or else a conspiracy amongst developers laugh.png). If they complain to you, point them to Microsoft's help webpage describing how to disable it - if such a page exists - or create a page yourself.

Programmer: "But I just want to create a convenient button so users can disable/enable it more easily!"

Oh, so, you want to create a different method apart from the standardized way? What happens if every game does that? There'd be fifty different ways to disable it, and even if it's "enabled" using the Microsoft-implemented way, it still won't show up because developers are overriding that option, so users will be complaining to Microsoft that "The XBox bar is broken in game X and Y! It's just buggy and doesn't show up even when I explicitly enable it in the Xbox App!".

We might not approve of all the UX decisions Microsoft makes, but creating competing UX decisions on the same machine just adds inconsistency and user confusion, and makes the problem worse. wacko.png

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement